camper toilet smells

reiley99

I just bought a camper been sitting for a couple years it's in great shape just toilet stinks I put some of the tablets in It seems to help but only for a couple of days then stinks again. Or do they only work for a few days? I think it wasn't emptied before I was thinking about just filling it then going to dump it wondering there is a really good chemical I can dump in there.

mezz

PS

Thetford Aqua Chem. It's a liquid, which is far more effective than the tabs. Add a bottle of this (per label) & fill the black holding tank approx. 3/4 & do as dc suggested & take it for a drive to slosh it around a bit, go to a dump station & fill both the grey water & black tank to Full, drain the black tank first, then the grey tank, this will rinse the drop line. I would suggest adding a bit of water (3") to the black tank again along with another dose (per label) of the Aqua Chem & see how it goes. I've used this product when I had my travel trailer (5yrs) & never had an issue. In your case, it almost sounds as though the tank was not treated nor fully drained. PS Don't use bleach, that could cause the seals in the tank valves to dry out & deteriorate. -Mezz

Last edited:

elf

When we want to clean ours out good we just fill it 1/2 full with water, cascade dishwashing soap, and a 5 lb bag of ice. Drive it around 4-5 miles and let the ice do the scrubbing for you. Has always worked great for us.

reiley99

Thanks for the info I think the chemical that mezz says and the ice that elf recommends which I think a pretty good idea. Dive around some will get it.r

polarisrider1

Wally world sells an air movement powered vent fan the does not require electric. You hook it to the trailers roof vent pipe and the wind pulls the stink out of your tank. Also works when trailer is parked and the wind blows. This device will also change direction to maximize air flow like a weather vane. Guess who invented it.

srt20

I agree with Mezz. Aqua Chem. blue stuff, make sure it's the one with formeldahide (sp).

Make sure toilet holds water in bowl. And use lots of water.

Put the blue in the grey tank too. The grey can smell just as bad as the black.

polarisrider1

I agree with Mezz. Aqua Chem. blue stuff, make sure it's the one with formeldahide (sp).

Make sure toilet holds water in bowl. And use lots of water.

Put the blue in the grey tank too. The grey can smell just as bad as the black.

Agree, the blue stuff, the eco friendly green doesn't work.

FishermanJay

Thetford Aqua Chem. It's a liquid, which is far more effective than the tabs. Add a bottle of this (per label) & fill the black holding tank approx. 3/4 & do as dc suggested & take it for a drive to slosh it around a bit, go to a dump station & fill both the grey water & black tank to Full, drain the black tank first, then the grey tank, this will rinse the drop line. I would suggest adding a bit of water (3") to the black tank again along with another dose (per label) of the Aqua Chem & see how it goes. I've used this product when I had my travel trailer (5yrs) & never had an issue. In your case, it almost sounds as though the tank was not treated nor fully drained. PS Don't use bleach, that could cause the seals in the tank valves to dry out & deteriorate. -Mezz

Agreed with the above this method works great

Wyelde

A couple other things. If there is a sink in there, make sure there is water in the trap as that can be a source for smell as well. Same with shower drain. If it is definitely the toilet, closely inspect the bowl seal, it may be worn or cracked.

ws6formula

I think If I bought a used camper, I'd throw out the bed mattress and buy a new one (so no bed bugs/lice), steam clean any carpeting, and bleach hard surfaces, plumbing, and holding tanks.