camping in mid june

warner

Instead of only coming to visit copper harbor on a snowmobile, this summer the family wants to see the U.P. in the summer...Thinking mid june...are the black flies bad that time if the year? looking at staying at the lake fanny hooe campground in cooper harbor..anyone have some feedback on the campground? we are also bringing our UTV's for some trail riding...can you leave directly from this campground?
thanks for your input

mezz

The black fly season may be a bit delayed due to the cool start to spring, though, you may have less of a problem there due to the close proximity to the big air conditioner. As far as the campground is concerned, it's ok, but, really no other choices in "Copper" Harbor other than the Fort & you can forget about being able to go to & from on the wheelers there. To answer your question regarding UTV's at Fanny Hooe, yes, you can leave directly from the campground. Just remember to get your trail permits though, you will need the local & state trail permit $36.25. Enjoy your stay!:cool:-Mezz

Last edited:

warner

thanks mezz..i am told i can buy the permits at walmart in houghton ? do you know this to be true. or where else can i purchase them across the counter?
warner

mezz

Yes, Walmart does sell them in their sporting goods dept. I do know the local Holiday Station stores do in Hancock & Calumet, Quality Hardware in Lake Linden & also at the Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau in Calumet. I am sure there are a few more places around here, but I cannot say for sure who. I hope that helps. FYI, the permits are actually 2 separate permits, the general use permit is $26.25 & the State permit is an additional $10.00 totaling $36.25 and you will need both.-Mezz

warner

thanks for the info mezz, one final question i think, we have rhino sxs do we need to wear helmets while operating in michigan

mezz

not if you wear your seat belts,

Yep! What Lenny said! ;) BTW, if anyone is on an ATV, despite the popular belief with Michigan's helmet law, you MUST wear a helmet on your ATV. The helmet law is only applicable to motorcyclists.-Mezz

garyl62

Pushing this thread a little, but just put together a 4 night trip for the end of June to July 1. Two nights at Franklin Lake east of Eagle River WI, then 2 nights in Fort Wilkins. The stars must have been in alignment as my wife agreed to come with. We were tent camping, but now I'm on a mission to finish the inside of the new trailer so we can take that and have a little easier time to set up, weather any rain, and maybe be a little more comfortable.

I want to get her excited about coming to the UP without just going by all the places I sled to and saying "that's so and so's, we eat there, this place is great..." We'll do some light hiking, and such, but any suggestions on things to do? We'll be driving up to CP on Sunday the 29th. Probably pass through Mass City about 11:00 AM so wondering if we should stop along the way or just head all the way up. Then we'll be heading south about the same time on Tuesday the 1st but won't plan to stop and do anything on the way home.

warner

Gary, we've camped several times at franklin lake it's a great place to camp with a lot of hiking trails a clean lake for fishing /swimming, nice campsites but no electric or water ( thats the way i like it )
have a great camping trip.
warner

garyl62

I've been there once before. Thought the same thing. I've booked a site, but if there is something on the lake that's open when we get there we'll grab that. Do you know if there is electric available at any of the sites there? I didn't look that close before. I know the reserved sites don't have any, but there were a lot of campers there so I wondered if there were some that had elec hook-ups available.

Looking forward to Wilkins too. Got an elec site there. Hope to get the trailer finished in time to have a few of the comforts of home available when we head out.