Camping trip to the UP

elf

Just got back from our summer vacation. This year it was a weeklong camping trip to the UP. We left on the 15th and drove to Tahquamenon Falls State Park.
On Sunday we went up to whitefish point to the shipwreck museum. Thats the one spot my son wanted to go to as he is a big shipwreck fan.
Here he is with the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald.
113420.jpg

We spent a lot of time talking to one of the volunteers there who was on the Arthur Anderson trailing the Fitz on the night she went down. Very interesting.
This is Claire and Trent on the beach at Whitefish Point.
113421.jpg

The we were off to the falls. We rented the boat and paddled out to the island at the lower falls.
113422.jpg

113423.jpg

Then we went to the upper falls
113424.jpg

The we stopped for some ice cream. Claire enjoyed her cone.
113425.jpg

Then we went swimming in whitefish bay near the campground. If you look in the center of the picture yopu can see us about 300 yds out there. The waters was still not up to my waist. But it was such nice sand and so warm, I couldn't believe it.
113426.jpg

On Monday we went up to the Soo locks, Sorry, no real good pictures form there.

On Tuesday we drove down to Mackinaw Cityt and met my cousin and her family and went out to the Island.
113427.jpg

The Grand Hotel
113428.jpg

We ate lot's of fudge, took a carriage ride, bought shirts, etc... Did all the tourist stuff. Boy, for a Tuesday i was amazed how many people were out there. I'd hate to be there on a weekend.

On Wednesday we left Tahq falls and headed for the porcupine mtns. Stopped at Picture Rocks for a photo op. Very cool spot. Would have liked to do the boat tour that day but got a later start than we planned.
113429.jpg

Got to the Porkies Wed night as it was starting to rain. Had a couple hours of sunshine Thursday morning but by noon it was raining again and was still raining mid afternoon on Friday so we packed up and came home a day early.

We had a great trip. It was fun to go through some of the towns I always hear people mention and seeing the sdouth side of the lake was something new. I was amazed by the sand beaches between Marquette and Munising and then again in Whitefish bay. We don't see any sand beaches on the north shore.

booondocker

Yeah, some people think going to NEW YORK CITY is a vacation....(he he)....there is nothin like the wonders across the U.P. that put you back to the awesomeness of nature.

Travel far and wide, but it has more diversity than almost anywhere else. It is a darn nice place to vacation, and once you do it you can keep coming back year after year and you never get tired of it, or see it all.

snowangel03

The UP is beautiful anytime of year!! The pictures are great and thanks for sharing. I haven't been to the Eastern UP. I've been to Crystal Falls, Iron Mountain and Munising and parts west. We went to Porcupine Mountain a couple of months ago. I had never seen it in the summer. It was simply awesome.

Tahquamenon Falls State Park is on my "list" along with Mackinaw Island and Bridge.

Glad you had fun! Makes me REALLY not want to be here at work!

dondoo

Did about the same trip with my family last year. It was a great time by all, and yes it is amazing how many people are there in the middle of the week. Glad you all enjoyed your trip, awsome pics too.

doo

cuzzinolaf

I planned to come up to the UP this fall until I got the invite to a friend's place in Northern MN. Can anyone compare the UP to Northern MN so I have a clue what to expect.

elf

Cuzzinolaf,
Where do you plan to be in Northen MN?

I'd say that the UP and northern central MN are a lot alike. Lots of forests and lakes. The area right along Lake Superior is where we saw the differences. On the MN side the shoreline is much more rugged and much more accessible as HWY 61 follows right up it. From where we were in the UP the shoreline was not a dramatic. More sand beaches, especially between Marquette and Munising, but again, not the rugged mountain feeling I get along the north shore.
But, this is all my personal opinion. And since I chose to build a cabin on the north shore instead of the UP, I guess you know which one I prefer. I've got a bunch of shots in the guest shots area if you want to look.
Again, it depends on where you plan to be.