Can Ford Cars (Edge) be hijacked without the key?

jjj70095

Illinois is having many problems with car hijackings. My care is a 2014 Ford Edge with keyless starting. Can the car still be started with hijacking devices?

snomoman

What I’m noticing is most hijackings are people jumping out of their cars with guns, it’s all done with guns generally, I don’t know of any devices that I’ve heard of that would be a new one on me, the wild West lawlessness in Chicago has just got to stop, we’ll see what the new mayor does, for all I know it’ll get worse…
I guess this device would be used to steal the car and not hijack it

Last edited:

jjj70095

Someone reported that a gang of hijackers went to a parking garage and demanded cars. Right off Lake Shore Drive.
But they got scared away.

Another person had their car hijacked while she was filling up at a gas station. They drove the car off
while it was being fueled.

Last edited:

snomoman

I can go on and on about the ruthlessness in the city of Chicago, there’s some people that’ll be walking on the sidewalk and all of a sudden four people jump out and rob them at gunpoint, jump back in the vehicle and away they go, every once in a while some of these clowns get shot with the person that has a CCP

whitedust

Chicago elected ultra liberal Mayor Johnson so you get what you elected. For me I’ll stay away take my money elsewhere I don’t need a social worker dispatched instead of police. Lol. Chicago you get what you wanted now deal with it. Lol.

jjj70095

I guess I am asking is can the car be started without the wireless key being near the car via some hotwire techinque?

Yes, voters in Chicago are crazy. You can not fix stupid.

indy_500

Chicago elected ultra liberal Mayor Johnson so you get what you elected. For me I’ll stay away take my money elsewhere I don’t need a social worker dispatched instead of police. Lol. Chicago you get what you wanted now deal with it. Lol.
100%. Try to stay far away as possible from Chiraq.

ICT Sledder

Theft or carjacking?

The cars in the news that some insurers have stopped covering due to ease of theft are some models of Kias and Hyundais. Ones that require an old school key in the ignition.

I'm not aware of anything related to Fords being easy to steal. The keyless start models have a transmission interlock that if the vehicle is running, but the key isn't in the car, you can't shift out of park. Remote start circumstances and such.

There's no magic option on any car to keep them from being carjacked.

snomoman

Theft or carjacking?

The cars in the news that some insurers have stopped covering due to ease of theft are some models of Kias and Hyundais. Ones that require an old school key in the ignition.

I'm not aware of anything related to Fords being easy to steal. The keyless start models have a transmission interlock that if the vehicle is running, but the key isn't in the car, you can't shift out of park. Remote start circumstances and such.

There's no magic option on any car to keep them from being carjacked.
Well I guess the “magic option” would be someone with a CCP…
BOOM BOOM, out go the lights
Hopefully no legal ramifications would be involved…
But always remember …
it’s better to be tried by 12
than carried by 6

Last edited:

mezz

IMO, If they want it, they will get it regardless. It matters not the make. Yes, some vehicles are more attractive to steal than others, but, keep in mind, these thieves are crafty, stupid, but crafty. Park in well lit areas at night & preferably an area that has surveillance cameras when parking in public.