Can wooden trailers be used to transport one sled?

jjj70095

I see those open wooden trailers for sale for $1400 at the Tractor Supply Stores in the parking lot, with the door in the back that folds down. Can those be used to transport one sled for local trips if you drill in some holes for a crossbar?

mrbb

well yes and NO
I doubt the one in your link will work, as it maybe too short at only 8 ft!
odds are you will want a 10 ft or most likely a 12 OR longer pending what sled you plan to use

NEXT, your going to find towing a sled on a trailer like that, when you get to where your going, your sled will be covered in a LOT of salty slush, or ice or both!
even with a good cover on the sled, your not going to be very happy with things

THEN your also going to find out towing a steel trailer like that in winter time and all that salt will EAT the frames in a few yrs

IMO< you'd be way better off buying a 8.5x12 ft tilt deck snowmobile trailer, it will be a better investment IMO
Find one made with an aluminum frame and a galvanized axle , with a GOOD snow shield taller the better!
(even with a GOOD snow shield, your sled will still need a GOOD cover and be sloppy covered when you get to where your going, but better than NO shield by a LITTLE, as they will also sit HIGHER to help curb the crap thrown at then )
in the long run I think you will be happier!

and, a decent used trailer like this typically can be had for about 1000 bucks, if you look around, or slightly higher!
and if you inspect things well, before buying, odds are it will be a solid trailer,!
look at axles where they mount to frames and welds, tires are cheap to replace, and even decking isn;t that bad to replace if needed!

a well kept trailer can last for yrs with basic care and up keep!

there are some single place aluminum sled trailers, but there far and few and typically about the same price as a two place, but I understand only needing a trailer for one sled! but there just harder to find being fewer out there, !

mrbb

I have seen many 2 place 8.5 x 12 trailers for about a grand, finding a Single one sled trailer will be harder as there are fewer out there, and they may bring a higher price tag due to being rarer!
but if you look you MAY find one for about a grand or so
just have to look and see what's about!

them landscape like trailers, again, for a sled to fit you need one 12 ft long or longer pen ding what sled you plan to haul and they do NOT keep sleds very clean and the steel frames don;t last long in a salty environment we tow sleds in! unless you do a lot of cleaning and prep on them
aluminum is NOT perfect either, still need to take care of them, but will last a LOT longer with less effort IMO!

mrbb

just a couple examples, don't know where your at, but these are from a few places,. to show there can be trailers out there for about a grand!
and again keep in mind also DON"T know what sled you have, longer sleds may need 12 ft decks or more, pending again what sled you have!
these are 10 ft decks!

soft shell enclosed as well

Hoosier

Be careful with a 10 foot enclosed trailer. It may work depending on design and sled length but double check before you buy.

whitedust

Everything mrbb stated is true you want aluminum for sure. Check used could find equipped with slides and shield people usually sell with accessories don’t take them off.

jjj70095

I have a ski doo ace touring. I am in the Northwoods. Thanks for all the advice. I just trailer maybe 5-15 miles at most for local trips......

mrbb

I have a ski doo ace touring. I am in the Northwoods. Thanks for all the advice. I just trailer maybe 5-15 miles at most for local trips......
well in that case ,m any trailer might be OK with you, as long as it can physically hold the sled, (weight wise and length and width) and you use a good trailer able cover on the sled!
it doesn;t take long to have a sled covered in slop, as your tow vehicle will trow a lot at it as will other vehicles you pass or pass you! and again steel frames are highly prone to salt damage , even if you wash it often, it still will rust on you!
its just the nature of the beast!
used might be the cheapest option for you, IMO!

ICT Sledder

If you have a pickup, just one sled and short trips then I'd 100% just buy a good snowmobile-specific truck ramp. You might not have a truck, so if not nevermind.

mrbb

a small tow vehicle like you have,a double wide trailer will be at about your max tow rating if you had TWO sleds on it!
and it will be a little hard to see behind the trailer as you will have a much wider trailer than the tow vehicle, but your not going far, and you can put the sled in the middle(ad some Eye bolts to trailer to allow it to be strapped down that way in center, will also help keep sled clean by doing so!

that or try and find a single place trailer like one of these, they won't have a salt shirld to help keep your sled clean, but will tow easier than a two place one will for you!
COST maybe higher however and harder to find one used, as , they again are much fewer out there to pick from!

or like this, and they offer a salt shield as an option, if buying new that is

https://www.marlonproducts.com/products/trailers/snowmobile/

or even one like this, just set up to fit your sled, I'd go 5 ft wide and 12 ft long if it was me!

mrbb

or you can spend some coin and get a VERY nice single place enclosed one too

there out there used to, but very few , and will still ask a premium if you find any, or I would think so
but the PLUS side of buying new is you get a NEW trailer, problem free(or should be)
enclosed mean NO cover needed , and will net you a longer lasting sled staying out of all that road salt
and if you take care of it, odds are with the way trailers are increasing in costs, you will be able to sell it down the road for about what you paid for it!
trailers are like investments anymore, and IMO< should be viewed that way when buying them as well!
food for thought for you any how