Canada Fishing is Back

skiroule

Time to try out this new forum toy.

As some of you know, my wife and I live on the Canadian border up in Lake of the Woods Co. MN, where it is a perfect location for us to have a cabin on the Ontario side of Lake of the Woods. There is the matter of being locked out for a year and a half but hopefully that’s all behind us now.

For anyone that hasn’t done so and is curious about crossing the border to fish or sled, this has been our experience: Since the border opened in August, we have crossed multiple times and pretty much have the drill down. We’re both fully vaccinated so all we do is go to the local pharmacy, which provides PCR molecular COVID tests with results in less than an hour, fill out the ArriveCAN form on-line and boom! We’re good to go. We did get tagged with the Canadian random COVID test on one crossing but it’s not a huge hassle, especially if you’re smart phone savvy. At our crossing, it’s a “home” test but you can complete the process in your vehicle via your smart phone, drop the kit off at a local courier drop box and you’re on your way.

What you fishermen might be interested in is that the late summer/fall Walleye fishing on the Canadian side of the lake has been stupid good. Though no particularly high level of skill or sophisticated electronics, we have typically averaged 30 – 50 fish in the boat in a three-hour outing, often with a nice limit of 17” – 19” Walleyes in the well in 45 minutes (we release all Walleyes over 19”). Over the years we have gained some knowledge of where the fish might be at a given time of year but other than that, we just put on a 2 oz. bottom bouncer, a big, bright spinner rig and have at it. Neither one of us likes jigging so we troll 100% of the time. The fish are very aggressive and willing to chase the bait and don’t seem intimidated by our huge blades/hooks.

It’s hard to say how long the entry requirements will be in place but if you’re considering a Canadian sledding trip this winter or a fishing trip next summer, Canada is open for business and I wouldn’t let the requirements deter you from planning a trip north of the border in the future.

IMG_1271_1.jpg

DSC_0029_1.jpg

IMG_1278_1.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Great info and love the pictures! Looks like some good eats! Glad you are feeling and looking good! :):):)

Our group, who had been fishing north of Kenora for 53 years, until last year, made the trek again in September. I won't say it was quite as easy as you described skiroule, mostly because we have to travel nearly 600 miles before we reach International Falls / Fort Frances. The timing of the PCR tests was tough for us, but as you described, there is a fall back in I Falls....for $180 which would probably be paid for when submitted thru your health insurance....but the submittal is each individual's responsibility. That being said, we also tried to time our Border arrival for when they are typically not busy. There's nothing like driving 9 to 10 hours only to sit in line for an hour or 2.....kinda takes some of the fun away.

We crossed with no issues. Everyone had received their COVID PCR test results prior to arriving at the Border and other than being scolded and reprimanded by the Border Patrol Agent for not wearing our masks....in our truck(!)....it went well. I would do it again when it comes time for our annual June fishing trip, but we would certainly appreciate a little less scrutiny.

By the way, crossing back into the States was painless....with no mask scolding. :) Oh....and we had good fishing too! 242182782_10222409172604248_6335903165201352223_n.jpg 242175528_10222414338573394_6174237669085448904_n.jpg 242179823_10222418472316735_7457588196540133112_n.jpg 242847313_10222437566194070_4618304979236260097_n.jpg 242911827_10222437567914113_3583963111863746561_n.jpg

skiroule

Thanks Mark, I still have some stubborn physical symptoms but nothing that keeps me from at least attempting everything I used to do. My grip is a little suspect so as dorky as it sounds, I have my rod tethered to the boat so it doesn’t end up at the bottom with a big fish on the end of the line

Great post Steve and awesome photos, those are some big hogs! We don’t really target Pike and Muskies but we do catch a few and I can see why people fish for them specifically. When I see my line start running sideways, I know I’m probably in for a fight. I don’t know how well known this lake is for Bass, but as your photos show, it’s an excellent Bass fishery in the areas where the habitat suits them. Lots of fun to catch and they can really put on a show.

No question we benefit from proximity when it comes to crossing the border. If we had a longer drive it would require more planning, especially when it comes to the 72-hour COVID test time expiration. You guys need to get a pretty rapid results turn-around to accommodate your 10 – 12-hour drive. It’s really your best option but I’m not a big fan of the I-Falls crossing. The Baudette/Rainy River crossing is a much smaller operation and way less busy but it would add a lot of distance to your trip. I'm not sure how the border agent was supposed to identify you with your mask on but I think sometimes they just like to jerk you around a little. Thanks for posting the photos and good luck on your trip next summer!

Thanks Mark, I still have some stubborn physical symptoms but nothing that keeps me from at least attempting everything I used to do. My grip is a little suspect so as dorky as it sounds, I have my rod tethered to the boat so it doesn’t end up at the bottom with a big fish on the end of the line

Great post Steve and awesome photos, those are some big hogs! We don’t really target Pike and Muskies but we do catch a few and I can see why people fish for them specifically. When I see my line start running sideways, I know I’m probably in for a fight. I don’t know how well known this lake is for Bass, but as your photos show, it’s an excellent Bass fishery in the areas where the habitat suits them. Lots of fun to catch and they can really put on a show.

No question we benefit from proximity when it comes to crossing the border. If we had a longer drive it would require more planning, especially when it comes to the 72-hour COVID test time expiration. You guys need to get a pretty rapid results turn-around to accommodate your 10 – 12-hour drive. It’s really your best option but I’m not a big fan of the I-Falls crossing. The Baudette/Rainy River crossing is a much smaller operation and way less busy but it would add a lot of distance to your trip. I'm not sure how the border agent was supposed to identify you with your mask on but I think sometimes the they just like to jerk you around a little. Thanks for posting the photos and good luck on your trip next summer!
skiroule-
No question that sometimes they like to jerk you around....sometimes to gauge your reaction....sometimes just because they can! I know that the Baudette crossing is much smaller and usually no long waits. It would add 70 to 90 minutes to our drive. I'm lucky enough to have the ability to try and time our arrival in I Falls to avoid the masses. Could you imagine the poor people who waited in line for 7 and 8 HOURS the first day the border opened this August???

We really were targeting Muskies on our trip (and failed), but found a bay that was literally loaded with BIG pike. We caught 8 that were between 40" and 43" over a couple of different days.

As for smallmouth, they are so dang fun! I was pleasantly surprised to find them back in the shallows. I figured that Mid-September would find most (if not all) of them in deeper water (25' plus). What a blast catching them in skinny water!

Oh well....onward and upward to SNOW! Here's to a banner Winter of SNOW and cold!

mezz

Nice Boys! I'm jealous. :cool3:The work week is always nice here & the week-ends are half good, the good half keeps me in the yard working. Good to see someone enjoying the bounties. Congrats. -Mezz

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Kelly-

Nora would just die to be on a fishing trip like that! I will get in touch with you to see about possibly hooking up with you for some fishing next season. I also would love to get to you neck of the woods for some riding. Thinking of trying to setup a group ride out of Ash Trail Lodge.

-John

skiroule

Kelly-

Nora would just die to be on a fishing trip like that! I will get in touch with you to see about possibly hooking up with you for some fishing next season. I also would love to get to you neck of the woods for some riding. Thinking of trying to setup a group ride out of Ash Trail Lodge.

-John
I seem to recall from reading Journals past that Nora is not lacking in fishing skill. The rest of us would be advised to bring our “A” game. I’m far from being the greatest guide on Sabaskong Bay but the price is right :). Fishing aside, the scenery of the area is nothing short of spectacular and something to be enjoyed, regardless of the bite. For my money, mid-June to the end of August is the best fishing weather of the season.

I rode the Ash River area about a dozen years ago and I remember the trails being pretty cool, with a lot of lake crossings and trail route options. I’m sure members could provide much more detailed information. I know you’ll keep us all posted if a plan comes together.

skiroule

We really were targeting Muskies on our trip (and failed), but found a bay that was literally loaded with BIG pike. We caught 8 that were between 40" and 43" over a couple of different days.

As for smallmouth, they are so dang fun! I was pleasantly surprised to find them back in the shallows. I figured that Mid-September would find most (if not all) of them in deeper water (25' plus). What a blast catching them in skinny water!
There must have been something in that bay that really attracted them. Can you imagine the fate of a poor Walleye or Perch that stumbled in there? We were fishing a channel a week ago and we pulled up three Walleyes (including a 24”} that had pretty bad bite wounds. Something big down there was really tearing them up. It was amazing that they were still feeding, even with those injuries.

I've given up trying to predict where we'll find the angry Bass but like you said, they sure are fun once you tie into one.

I hooked this guy about 10 miles from the cabin three or four years ago and I’m posting this photo because I don’t know much about Muskies so maybe you can tell me if this version of a Muskie has a special name. The coloring was absolutely beautiful, looked more like a Barracuda than a Muskie. He was a jumper and it was a full-on fire drill in the boat once we got a look at him. I’m sure you guys love it when a bumbling Walleye fisherman catches one of these by accident.

Send me a message next summer and let me know how your trip went. Better yet, post a thread here with LOTS of photos. I love this stuff!

IMG_1026_1.jpg

pclark

Awesome pictures and stories guys, I used to venture into Canada with my high school buddies many years ago and it was a blast. The lakes and country up there is spectacular. I have recently settled in Northern WI (Vilas County) and our Chain of Lakes has a great fish population of walleyes if you know where and when to fish for them. It took me years to study and understand this but now enjoy the hunt right in my own backyard. Walleyes like this one are there, just need to find them. This one went back for someone else to enjoy, we keep 16"-18" for the freezer.
IMG_0277.JPG

skiroule

Nice Walleye pclark, what a beauty! That's one healthy fish. Glad you released it to maybe be caught again but equally important, to make more little Walleyes. Hats off to you for grabbing the opportunity to move to an area where you have good Walleye fishing basically out your back door (not to mention good sledding). My impression is that northern WI is also good Muskie country. The local resorts here get a lot of Muskie fishermen from there coming up here to test their skill.

You’re right about the payback on taking the time to learn the local waters. Nothing is a sure thing in fishing but my results have improved as my understanding of the fish movement patterns has increased. Of course, being able to spend a lot of time on the water doesn’t hurt either.

There must have been something in that bay that really attracted them. Can you imagine the fate of a poor Walleye or Perch that stumbled in there? We were fishing a channel a week ago and we pulled up three Walleyes (including a 24”} that had pretty bad bite wounds. Something big down there was really tearing them up. It was amazing that they were still feeding, even with those injuries.

I've given up trying to predict where we'll find the angry Bass but like you said, they sure are fun once you tie into one.

I hooked this guy about 10 miles from the cabin three or four years ago and I’m posting this photo because I don’t know much about Muskies so maybe you can tell me if this version of a Muskie has a special name. The coloring was absolutely beautiful, looked more like a Barracuda than a Muskie. He was a jumper and it was a full-on fire drill in the boat once we got a look at him. I’m sure you guys love it when a bumbling Walleye fisherman catches one of these by accident.

Send me a message next summer and let me know how your trip went. Better yet, post a thread here with LOTS of photos. I love this stuff!
BEAUTIFUL fish! Honestly, I'm no expert on the different "versions" of Muskies, other than it's pretty easy to spot a Tiger Musky, which as you know is a hybrid of Northern and Muskie. Here are pictures of two fish, caught 10 minutes apart from the same point in 2016. The colors couldn't be more varied.
13458602_10207510809754488_1876526638778540797_o.jpg 13442465_10207510811594534_781218714501290444_o.jpg
Laughing about your commentary on poor walleye or perch that stumbled into the bay. But you are right, there was something that attracted the large Northerns. We went in one day and caught 5 or 6 and lost another 5 or 6 of equal size. Went back in the next day and there were none. Went back a third day and they they were again as we caught 3 or 4 more with several near misses. Hard to miss a 40" fish rolling on your lure near the surface. :) The only thing we could figure out was weather. On the days we caught them, it was cloudy with a bit of a breeze blowing into the bay.....the day we didn't was blue sky and very light winds. I do scratch my head a bit though....so on the sunny day all the "bait fish" left the bay....ALL of them??? LOL

As for walleye fisherman hooking the occasional Muskie, it's all part of the reason we fish. One never knows.... :)

skiroule

Well Steve, I’ve heard it said that the Muskie is “the Fish of a Thousand Casts.” By that standard it definitely puts you and your group in the class of “Muskie Masters”, as your success ratio is much better than that and you have some impressive photos to prove it. It’s interesting that there was such a difference in a short span of days in the same area. Like you said, it could be something as basic as wind direction

One thing is for sure, looking at your photos it’s obvious that these fish can grow to be monster predators and eating machines. At times they don’t seem too fussy about what they attack either. I once caught a 40 incher on a small Crappie minnow in the fall and a couple of years ago a dead adult mink washed up on shore in front of the cabin. It was a pretty gruesome sight. It had been torn completely open, presumably while swimming and I have little doubt it was the work of a big Muskie. I know they’re down there because I’ve seen them caught right in front of the property.

I do have one Muskie story that ranks as my most unusual Muskie experience. A friend and I were up at the cabin ice fishing in March about four years ago and one day he knew he hooked something big. The first time I saw it go by the hole I said it was a big Northern. It was a two-man operation to get it up through the 8” auger hole and it wasn’t until we got the head above the ice, we realized it was a pretty good-sized Muskie. I don’t know how he kept that fish on the line using a small Slender Spoon treble hook, 6 lb. line, and a light ice fishing rod but he did. I know they catch them through the ice up around the NW Angle but I haven’t found anyone who has caught one through the ice in the area around the cabin. It made for a wild day on the ice.

By the way, it’s 73 and sunny in NW Ontario today. Short-lived though, low 30’s by Wed. Getting close to wrapping it up.

Muskie_Pat.jpg

pclark

Nice Walleye pclark, what a beauty! That's one healthy fish. Glad you released it to maybe be caught again but equally important, to make more little Walleyes. Hats off to you for grabbing the opportunity to move to an area where you have good Walleye fishing basically out your back door (not to mention good sledding). My impression is that northern WI is also good Muskie country. The local resorts here get a lot of Muskie fishermen from there coming up here to test their skill.

You’re right about the payback on taking the time to learn the local waters. Nothing is a sure thing in fishing but my results have improved as my understanding of the fish movement patterns has increased. Of course, being able to spend a lot of time on the water doesn’t hurt either.
Thanks Skiroule,

Our chain stocked thousands of 8-10" walleyes about 4 years ago and clipped their fin so you could identify them, We call them clippers, they are now in the 15" range and hungry! After learning how to fish and where it is not uncommon to catch 20-25 of these fish in a two hour feeding period along with a few larger fish. Our limits are 15" with a slot, one over 18",anything over 24" goes back, limit 3. And yes Musky fishing is very good here in this neck of the woods as you stated, I am not a musky fisherman but we catch them in the fall on jigs with minnows and some can be quite large. The trick is to see if you can at least get them near the boat to see them before they jerk their heads, let alone net them on 6lb test line and jig without a leader.

Nice posts and keep the pictures coming! Enjoyed the info from a different area.

Well Steve, I’ve heard it said that the Muskie is “the Fish of a Thousand Casts.” By that standard it definitely puts you and your group in the class of “Muskie Masters”, as your success ratio is much better than that and you have some impressive photos to prove it. It’s interesting that there was such a difference in a short span of days in the same area. Like you said, it could be something as basic as wind direction

One thing is for sure, looking at your photos it’s obvious that these fish can grow to be monster predators and eating machines. At times they don’t seem too fussy about what they attack either. I once caught a 40 incher on a small Crappie minnow in the fall and a couple of years ago a dead adult mink washed up on shore in front of the cabin. It was a pretty gruesome sight. It had been torn completely open, presumably while swimming and I have little doubt it was the work of a big Muskie. I know they’re down there because I’ve seen them caught right in front of the property.

I do have one Muskie story that ranks as my most unusual Muskie experience. A friend and I were up at the cabin ice fishing in March about four years ago and one day he knew he hooked something big. The first time I saw it go by the hole I said it was a big Northern. It was a two-man operation to get it up through the 8” auger hole and it wasn’t until we got the head above the ice, we realized it was a pretty good-sized Muskie. I don’t know how he kept that fish on the line using a small Slender Spoon treble hook, 6 lb. line, and a light ice fishing rod but he did. I know they catch them through the ice up around the NW Angle but I haven’t found anyone who has caught one through the ice in the area around the cabin. It made for a wild day on the ice.

By the way, it’s 73 and sunny in NW Ontario today. Short-lived though, low 30’s by Wed. Getting close to wrapping it up.
We all knew (hoped) that the weather would turn up North sooner or later....right? :) It's funny, I have fished many, many times in August & September in Ontario and almost strictly Muskie fishing. Lots of work (ZERO complaints though) flinging huge lures and burning in the retrieves with twin bladed bucktails. LOL. But far and away our best luck (and the emphasis is on luck) is when we are up in June and flinging shorelines. Yes, we catch dozens and dozens of smallies....along with the occasional walleye....but every trip we tie into any number of large Northerns and Muskies. We are fishing with spinning tackle and medium-light rods. I still use 6 lb mono on a couple of my outfits. We are throwing #3 Mepps and Beetle Spins (believe it or not) that I have modified with larger jig heads and 3" grub tails. I use a 4" Invisi-leader as some protection from toothy critters and it doesn't seem to affect the bass too much. It is SO MUCH FUN and quite a challenge with large fish on lighter tackle.
Enjoying the fishing banter.....just before your hard water season begins.... :)

skiroule

We all knew (hoped) that the weather would turn up North sooner or later....right? :) It's funny, I have fished many, many times in August & September in Ontario and almost strictly Muskie fishing. Lots of work (ZERO complaints though) flinging huge lures and burning in the retrieves with twin bladed bucktails. LOL. But far and away our best luck (and the emphasis is on luck) is when we are up in June and flinging shorelines. Yes, we catch dozens and dozens of smallies....along with the occasional walleye....but every trip we tie into any number of large Northerns and Muskies. We are fishing with spinning tackle and medium-light rods. I still use 6 lb mono on a couple of my outfits. We are throwing #3 Mepps and Beetle Spins (believe it or not) that I have modified with larger jig heads and 3" grub tails. I use a 4" Invisi-leader as some protection from toothy critters and it doesn't seem to affect the bass too much. It is SO MUCH FUN and quite a challenge with large fish on lighter tackle.
Enjoying the fishing banter.....just before your hard water season begins....

I’m always fascinated at the big stuff you guys throw at those fish. Watching some Muskie guys fishing the shallow bays, I swear they’re pitching a mop head with a hook attached. I can see where your setup would add another degree of difficulty. Cripes, I’m using a medium-heavy Fenwick rod trolling for Walleyes.

Oh, the hard water is coming. I’m going to predict that there will be guys on the ice within a month. Not necessarily smart guys, but they’ll be there.

Not sure how the ice fishing season will unfold yet. After my little stroke adventure in August, my wife has banned me from going up to the cabin by myself in the dead of winter when there is absolutely no one around (at least for this winter). Since she’s not into ice fishing, my opportunities on the Canadian side will be limited until the seasonal neighbors start coming up for early spring fishing in March.

Going out on the U.S. side of the lake is pretty convenient but contrary to what the Tourism Bureau says, fishing the mud of the Big Traverse basin in the winter can be a test of patience. A lot of times when the Walleyes move through, they are suspended anywhere from 3 – 10 ft. off the bottom. If you’re quick enough and can get your bait to their depth they will bite a surprising amount of the time and you usually end up with a nice Walleye. Without electronics and fishing the bottom you’d miss a lot of those fish. Your catch would include a fair number of small, mud rocket Saugers the size of a Gorton’s fish stick. Entertaining but not frying pan worthy.

Not that I’m a stranger to small fish on the Canadian side in the summer. I get my share of these. I’ll give them credit though; they have the heart of a lion.
Mighty_Walleye.jpg

I’m always fascinated at the big stuff you guys throw at those fish. Watching some Muskie guys fishing the shallow bays, I swear they’re pitching a mop head with a hook attached. I can see where your setup would add another degree of difficulty. Cripes, I’m using a medium-heavy Fenwick rod trolling for Walleyes.

Oh, the hard water is coming. I’m going to predict that there will be guys on the ice within a month. Not necessarily smart guys, but they’ll be there.

Not sure how the ice fishing season will unfold yet. After my little stroke adventure in August, my wife has banned me from going up to the cabin by myself in the dead of winter when there is absolutely no one around (at least for this winter). Since she’s not into ice fishing, my opportunities on the Canadian side will be limited until the seasonal neighbors start coming up for early spring fishing in March.

Going out on the U.S. side of the lake is pretty convenient but contrary to what the Tourism Bureau says, fishing the mud of the Big Traverse basin in the winter can be a test of patience. A lot of times when the Walleyes move through, they are suspended anywhere from 3 – 10 ft. off the bottom. If you’re quick enough and can get your bait to their depth they will bite a surprising amount of the time and you usually end up with a nice Walleye. Without electronics and fishing the bottom you’d miss a lot of those fish. Your catch would include a fair number of small, mud rocket Saugers the size of a Gorton’s fish stick. Entertaining but not frying pan worthy.

Not that I’m a stranger to small fish on the Canadian side in the summer. I get my share of these. I’ll give them credit though; they have the heart of a lion.
View attachment 66196
Sorry to hear about your "stroke adventure". :( Getting older has it's advantages....and drawbacks.

That's a mighty BIG net for such a small walter....LOL

I'm curious. Where is your cabin on the Canadian side? Most of the US part of LOTW is the large expanse of open water, as you know (side-note....we snowmobiled from Baudette to Oak Island and then up to The English River...well we actually started that day in Orr, MN....but that's a different story....but that HUGE expanse of open water is a little intimidating....especially in a ground blizzard). I just wouldn't be all that excited to fish the US side. I would bet that where your cabin is located is a little more 'island studded" and scenic.

Enjoying the fishing banter....while starting to get the sleds ready.....and trying to convince a buddy of mine to head up to Northern MN to do some sledding this Winter.....kind of enjoy Ash Trail Lodge.....just wish there wasn't that goofy 45 MPH speed limit on the lakes within the Park....

skiroule

That's a mighty BIG net for such a small walter....LOL
Never underestimate a little Wally. I held him up to look him in the eye, he bit me in the nose.

Our cabin is located about 6 miles north of Morson on a small bay called Hanson’s Bay, which is at the end of Highway 621. It’s roughly a 40-mile drive once we cross the border so it’s about an hour from the house.

We kind of lucked out on the place, both in terms of affordability and location. Hanson’s Bay opens up into the Sabaskong and we have almost limitless choices of where to fish. We can fish the channels/bays locally, run up to the Little Traverse Bay (one of our favorite places to fish), head southwest to the waters around Bigsby Island, or ENE towards Nestor Falls. It’s a rare day that we can’t fish due to wind conditions.

Pretty cool that you got to ride Lake of the Woods in the winter. It’s an impressive piece of ice to cross on a sled. You’re right, the Big Traverse can be intimidating both summer and winter. In the summer, you’re often battling big wind and big waves for days in a row. As you mentioned, throw in a snowstorm, wind, or even a flat light day in the winter and it’s hard to figure out what direction you’re traveling. It’s good to have a backup GPS if you’re fishing away from the crowd. Ice fishing days like this are common (and it’s not even snowing).

Ice_Fishing_Day.jpg

John had mentioned Ash River as well. Sounds like he might try to make it up there this winter (with his new ride). I stayed at Ash Trail Lodge with a group several years ago. Thought it was a pretty nice place with good trail access.

skiroule

As a lot of you probably know, Canada is eliminating the pre-arrival COVID test requirement as of April 1st. Unfortunately, a friend and I had planned a fishing trip on the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods for last weekend so we had to do the test thing one more time.

It worked out for the best though because the recent cold re-froze any water on the ice and really improved the ice conditions.

The Walleyes seem to be getting into their spring feeding frenzy, especially in the late afternoon so there was plenty of action. Basically had the area to ourselves, never saw another fisherman. It was a little cool (below zero every night) but we had brilliant sunny days, made for some amazing days of fishing.
IMG_1510_1.jpg

As a lot of you probably know, Canada is eliminating the pre-arrival COVID test requirement as of April 1st. Unfortunately, a friend and I had planned a fishing trip on the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods for last weekend so we had to do the test thing one more time.

It worked out for the best though because the recent cold re-froze any water on the ice and really improved the ice conditions.

The Walleyes seem to be getting into their spring feeding frenzy, especially in the late afternoon so there was plenty of action. Basically had the area to ourselves, never saw another fisherman. It was a little cool (below zero every night) but we had brilliant sunny days, made for some amazing days of fishing.
View attachment 67208
When I heard the news about no more COVID tests, at first, I thought that maybe the article was old and dated.....LOL. That's seriously good news and should really help all of the border resorts and fishing camps. Still plenty of hard water currently though... :)