Canada Fishing

fishinphil

Just starting to look into my first Canadian fishing trip. Any recomendations of where to go/not to go. Dos and don'ts. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks JD Fans!

polarisrider1

I have flown out of Nakina Ont., Hawk Junction, Ont., and out of White River, Ont. all good times. Planes were very old. 1954 Otters with turbos added much later. Go to the Sport and fishing shows and get as much info as you can. Pricing is all over the spectrum depending on the plan and lenght of stay you choose. I have never done the "American" plan. We always do 1 week trip with a Plane checking up on us mid week. The housing isn't much more than a Volkswagen Crate in most cases. Propane stove, light and fridge. No elec. is most common. I go for the Walleye. Very few women would like such a trip, so mama stays home. Bring a solar shower along. The lakes are very cold for bathing. I charged the guys $5 a shower and pd. only $19 for the thing at MC Sporting goods. That is how I got my losings back from cards at night. lol http://www.hawkair.com/ http://www.leuenberger.ca/landing.html http://www.northtoadventure.com/index.php

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Here's another place I fished. we went to Upper Malete lake by Portageing (dragging your boat up a shallow stream). This place was far more rustic than the cabin on Malete lake. You can negotiate pricing. Times are slow. NEVER LIE about or Hide weight from the guys who run the scales. The planes can only clear the trees at the end of the lake if you are honest with them about the weight so they don't over load the plane. You pay by the pound to haul stuff in and out. Beer in cans weighs far less than Bottles. If you are adventurous you can ask to copilot. I do every time! Not a clue how to fly, but the pilot always says I will figure it out if he has a heart attack.http://www.northtoadventure.com/index.php

Falcon20

Here's a location to check out www.canadianfishing.com. It's near Chapleau, Ont. The Chapleau link has lots of info on border crossing. A group of us has a lake cabin 50 miles or so from Chapleau which is the closest town.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Fish Pano2.jpg
    Fish Pano2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 21

Hoosier

My family has had good luck with Big Hook Wilderness Camps for many years. Fly in camp, walleye and northern.

yamahauler

so for those that have been up to the places mention....how's the fishing? Limit out not problem, just depends on the year, etc..

snodogg

Need more info on what your looking for.

Personally if was driving and hauling my own boat I would not committ to one place in particular so I had the opportunity to fish different lakes in the event one lake was not producing. You can bounce around and find a motel room in a small town for cheap. The best fishing I've found I did this way, mainly because we were fishing lakes with no resorts. If your looking for a guided fly-in check out North Knife Lake Lodge. Outstanding fishing with great hospitality and awesome food.

anonomoose

Been goin for 35 years...never did a fly in, don't think you need to unless you are just looking for excitement in the air.

If you are doing the opener, look for shallow lakes the warmer the better. I find I catch most fish in early season in water that is not over 6 or 8 feet deep. Long flat low lakes with slow moving water will warm particularly if it is stained with tanic acid...as the sun heats it up you can catch walleye all day long...but like always there are times you might as well go take a nap...cause they won't bite no-how.

Later in the year look for 55 degree water and forget about the shallows. Usually river mouth and rapid water from run off is good with some tangles and structure. That fishing is best in early morning and late afternoon...evening.

Be sure to have a shore lunch because of course you could eat a skunks butt you're so hungry, but nothing is as good as walleye out of cold water...in the spring. Watch out for old Mr tangle tooth...they like to hang around walleye beds and load those swaybellys up from a long winter of far and few meals.

Don't forget that in the colder lakes, lake trout are right up on top. You can long line Cleo's and William spoons and take a limit before noon.

As for limits...sheesh...when they get going you catch them one every cast, so limits are not an issue...save only the smaller fish as they taste the best.

If you go for a week, eventually they will "turn on" and then look out...a nice red and white or black and white can put a hundred fish in the boat...ah, well one at a time and back in the water, and your arm can get tired. Make sure to bend the barbs down so unhooking is easier and you don't injure any fish. After while, you will find that you don't have to keep any fish until just before you are leaving for lunch or back to the cabin.

Early season, Ontario DNR can be like the gastopo...putting up road blocks and searching your machine for anything and everything. So be sure to be ready for that...they like to write tickets to Americans...so they get your money in more ways than one. If you fool with bringing them home (and I never do that anymore) be sure to leave skin on the fillets so they can identify the fish and make sure you don't take over your limit or you can pay a healthy fine. Can't use the fuzz buster..up there and they do sit out in the middle of nowhere looking to nail your butt with that "funny license plate" even though Canadians can roar by and they won't turn a head.

Have fun...and make sure you take it safe because most places you will be the only boat on the lake. So take no chances...you don't want to be swimming in early water.

Oh, forgot one thing....buy some good charts/maps of the area, and try and get as far from roadside tourist trap places as possible. They get heavy use and the fish numbers can and do get depleted. Talk to a bait and tackle guy and tell them where you are going based upon some maps and then do the drive. 50 miles up and back will mean hungry fish with not a whole lot of knowledge about what artificial baits look like. That guy knows a hundred places and will get your started...and a good gps will finish the job.

Last edited:

rp7x

2hrs past i falls

look up hyatts camp in mine center can be remote if you want he can portage you in . been going for over 15 years the wife loves it there

ubee

GOOGLE BEDAS LODGE A no frill Ontario Fishing/Hunting lodge thats about 3 to 4 hrs closer than most outfitters on a 32 mile long lake almost straight north of Grand Maris ,MINN.

Attachments

• DSC05367.jpg
    DSC05367.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 41
  • vacation08_230.jpg
    vacation08_230.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Copy of DSC04705.jpg
    Copy of DSC04705.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 39
  • new09pics%20110.jpg
    new09pics%20110.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 40
  • new_054.jpg
    new_054.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 38

ubee

Lake Shebandowan , About 65 miles NW of Thunder Bay

Attachments

• moose_hunt_002.jpg
    moose_hunt_002.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 54
  • calfs.jpg
    calfs.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01344.jpg
    DSC01344.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 47
  • latest%202009%20092.jpg
    latest%202009%20092.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC06584.jpg
    DSC06584.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 49

ubee

Lord Stanley comes to Lake Shebandowan quite often courtesy of the Staal bros and 8 other NHL players! catch fish,see the cup!! LOl

Attachments

• cup 002.jpg
    cup 002.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC05411.jpg
    DSC05411.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1569.jpg
    DSCN1569.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05173_(2).jpg
    DSC05173_(2).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01143.jpg
    DSC01143.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 28

jr37

Timber Edge Camps near Sioux Lookout in Ontario. Owned by my cousin and her husband. Nice cabins, campsites, boat rentals, etc., good fishng. On Butterfly and Minataki Lakes. They have a web site.

samc

It really depends on whether you want a fly in or drive too resort/lodge. We do the drive to lodges and have never had any issues.