Carb heaters on Doo 2010 800 Renegade BC

matman

The manual is confusing on when to have them on/off ?
Who out there knows or who has experience with these.
Thanks in advance-Matman

bfoxy

have an o3 legend and the only time Iever used mine was when it was super cold[like below zero and the carbs were even getting frosty on the outside and it definitly made a diff.most of the time I can control the problem with the hood vents as it is usually snow dust that seems to cause it.

zimmbob

I don't have a skidoo, but I thought those were for use at below 0 temps for the most part, to keep them from freezing.

misty_pines

Carb Heaters

I run my MXZ with the carb heaters on all of the time which works great. I see no reason to ever turn them off unless you are running your sled in above freezing temperatures.

marty700

I've put over 8000 miles on my '02 Ski-Doo Legend 700, mostly with the carb heat on. If the temperature approaches the upper 20's, I turn it off. I ran the sled in 35 degree weather one time with the carb heat on (by mistake - I just forgot to turn it off) and heat damaged one of the rubber boots. I don't like restricting airflow, so I leave the vents open all the time. However, its the intake air - not the free flowing air over the engine - that creates the freezing problem in the cabrurators. If the air is moist or wet (e.g., if you have snow around the intake vent behind the windshield), the carbs have a tendancy to freeze without carb heat. I saw this happen to a friend's sled once. The solution for his frozen carb was to get out a hair dryer and extension cord and blow warm air on it for about 45 minutes. If the air is dry, it really doesn't matter how cold it gets.

I just picked up a new Grand Touring 600 and the mechanic told me to leave them off all the time, it was 15 below on saturday morning. I also have a 2003 Renegade 600 HO and have never turned them on in over 4,000 miles. Never a problem.

zimmbob

I just picked up a new Grand Touring 600 and the mechanic told me to leave them off all the time,

So doesn't that seem kind of strange? Why would the company spend time and money on a feature that you don't need or should never use? I know it happens sometimes, but not on something significant like that. Sure, other sleds don't have them, but I'd think they have a purpose and can/should be used when appropriate. There is a proper time to use them, that's why they are there.