chain case help

knewton66

I am putting the chain case back together on a 1989 sport. On the drive shaft do I need a oil seal on the back side of the the chain case? Thanks in advance

snowbuff

It would be a good idea to replace the seal. Why take a chance & have it leak. For a couple bucks, it's worth the piece of mind.

bigred_tr

I don't know why you had the chain case off but at this point you should replace all 4 bearings.2 in the chain case and 2 on the other end of each shaft.

As for the seal..I looked up your sled on fich...didn't see a bearing seal..interesting. I have been doing these bearings on seversl sleds and they all have the seal. I would put one in if there is room on the back side of the chain case. i looked and found that in 1991 there is now a seal on your Sport model. ( but did NOT see one on your model year) Take a look yourself like at ronnies.com.

seals are cheep bearings are $10-14 a peice do it now while you have it all apart and your good for another 5000 miles :)

Good luck

BR

Last edited:

knewton66

I did replace all the bearings on it. This is a complete tear down of this old sled. Had to put a new tunnel on it to make it a safe ride for my kids. Went to the dealer about the seal and we did some digging and came up with the same info as you did. So decided not to put in the seal, I guess we will see what happens. I have learned some good lessons on this project, hopefully one day I will get it finished. Thanks for your input.

mikedrh

Back then they used a sealed bearing, like an idler wheel bearing, and no seal. After they started using open bearings they had to put a seal in. Adding the seal sure won't hurt.