Chassell, houghton trail

blvette

Just wondering if that trail will be open this year, we rode it last year and homeowners and made obstacles and other obstructions to go over. I was kind of dangerous to say the least. One peice of land had strips of snow removed to the ground almost went over the windshield on that one. Thanks for all the good comments.

zimmbob

I think you should read this thread:

http://www.johndee.com/discuss/messages/9/113898.html

I don't know if this person has land in Chassel or elsewhere, but be careful about going in places you aren't supposed to be. The land owners likely did that becase the trail you were on was closed, and they were tired of people tresspassing. Not saying what they did was right (clearly dangerous), but on the surface, it seems as though you were in a place you were not supposed to be.

I don't know the status of the Chassel trail, but there are some other threads about it from October. Just do a search on Chassel and you'll see them.

blvette

We talked to several people and the trail was open to snowmobiling, they said they had lost the lawsuit and trail was open so we rode it. The barriers were gone, but they had pushed snow at certain entrances and so forth. Thanks

frnash

<font color="0000ff">zimmbob</font>:
"… do a search on Chassel and you'll see them …"

1. For the record, <font color="0000ff">blvette</font> was right, the correct spelling is Chassell! (Of course searching for "Chassel" will find 'em all, 'cuz it has been misspelled in various of those threads as well!)

2. The person in the link you posted (<font color="0000ff">radsrh</font>, a.k.a. Steve Haagen) has property in Keweenaw county, while Chassell is in Houghton County. (Not that he couldn't also have property there.)

Ooops, I guess I didn't read far enough in that thread (I'm not sure, but I suspect this refers to the Chassell-Painesdale segment of trail 15):<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By <font color="0000ff">rsvectordude</font> on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:42 pm:
I hate to say it but that's exactly why we denied the snowmobile trail from coming through our property in Chassell. Not because of snowmobiles so much but the local ATV's in the off season. Once there is a trail established people will travel it. And since we bought the land solely for hunting purposes that was not an option. We already had trouble with trespassers on foot and atv's and calling the local sheriff or DNR does nothing.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote><font color="0000ff">blvette:
"The barriers were gone, but they had pushed snow at certain entrances and so forth."</font>
I suppose they would claim that they had only plowed their driveways! Ooops, did that cause a problem on the trail? Sorry!
happy.gif

blvette

so for the record is it open like last year just not groomed and at your own risk or being groomed and a real trail without all the fun of navigating everything. Thanks for the quick responses. I am sure there is alot of hard feeling of having that trail next to all those beautiful houses but I am sure its better to have snowmobiles come buy every once in a while than a train.

frnash

The long extended discussion of the legal battle with the old railroad line Chassell-Houghton trail seems to have been a victim of some housekeeping, leaving this as the most current discussion on any route from Chassell to Houghton:
Click → General Discussions: Area Conditions and Info:2009-2010 Keweenaw snowmobile maps

blvette

thanks for the help, so no formal trail, should be another interesting year there. My brother in law shot off a embankment into a tree last year on that trail, still laughing about that one. He couldnt' handle the power of a 500 classic stuck a ski right between the forks of a tree we had to lift it out of there.

rsvectordude

I believe it's open but no signing or grooming taking place....Way too many driveways on that stretch anyway. I rip the lake to Houghton when it's safe or back roads to Painesdale instead.

frnash

<font color="0000ff">"back roads to Painesdale"</font>
Howja do dat, sneak out the back way from the Greenlight via 7th Street/Creamery Road/Worham Road, Paradise Road (or maybe Fishes Road?), C-P Road, Superior Road and Goodell Road?

I yoosta routinely sneak out (by automobile) from Chassell via C-P Road, Paradise Road, Boundary Road, Superior Road & Green Acres Road to M-26, but even the last time I was in the neighborhood C-P Road (at least up to Paradise Road/Pike River Road) was gettin' to be a freeway, not to mention being pretty aggressively plowed, no?