Chevy 6.0 2004 purge valve P0496

blvette

I am getting a error code in my truck, sometimes it is hard to fill up. I looked and found a tsb from chevy but was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions for cleaning out the parts or just to replace. 2004 chevy 2500 6.0 litre

snoeatr

You can try to clean, I didn't have any luck. It is located on the back side of the tank. Most likely full of dust and dirt. I just unhooked it for about a week until I got the part cause my truck wouldn't fill at all. My cleaning method was with an airhose and it didn't work. I think a new one was around $100

blvette

do you have to pull the tank of to get to the purge valve, I figured I would just follow the vent line is that correct

jccams

Two different valves in the evap system, vent valve and purge valve. On my 2000 Silverado the vent valve is located near the fuel tank and purge valve is under the hood. I just replaced the vent valve, 100 bucks, it was between the cab and box in front of the fuel tank and I did not have to pull the tank, was throwing a P0440 and P0449. This fixed my problem.

snoeatr

Sorry my previous post was the vent valve. jccams is right, the purge is under the hood. I think the code I had was PO440, but can't remember for certain. On the 04 2500HD vent valve is on the back of the tank toward the rear diff. (Don't have to drop tank, you will see it and only takes a couple of minutes to take off) Not sure if your problem is vent or purge, but it wouldn't hurt to clean the debris out of the vent while your at it.