closed thread question

dfattack

I"m asking the moderators only because I don't understand, not to be a wise guy.

The vaccine thread was closed since there was a comment about violence. I didn't read that post so maybe it was deleted?? If so, could the post be deleted without locking the entire thread? I actually thought there was some good debate about the topic without getting nasty or even political (rule breaker). Maybe I missed something. Just looking for a clarification. Thank you.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I"m asking the moderators only because I don't understand, not to be a wise guy.

The vaccine thread was closed since there was a comment about violence. I didn't read that post so maybe it was deleted?? If so, could the post be deleted without locking the entire thread? I actually thought there was some good debate about the topic without getting nasty or even political (rule breaker). Maybe I missed something. Just looking for a clarification. Thank you.

There was no need to close the thread, the two posts were deleted, he could have left it that way.

dcsnomo

I closed it because it was getting nasty, argumentative, and out of bounds. No skin off my butt if John wants to reopen it.

Also, after three pages it was repetitive and tired, and when that happens it usually devolves into animosity and/or politics.

russholio

There was no need to close the thread, the two posts were deleted, he could have left it that way.

More than two. Two of mine were deleted, neither of which advocated violence, and at least one of Lenny's, which did not advocate violence either. Sign of the times, I guess, when somebody disagrees with what you say. Sad.

dfattack

More than two. Two of mine were deleted, neither of which advocated violence, and at least one of Lenny's, which did not advocate violence either. Sign of the times, I guess, when somebody disagrees with what you say. Sad.

Are you suggesting we are being censored based on opinions put out there as apposed to violating JD rules? We do have to follow the rules, but if we are and still having posts deleted due to differing opinions then we have something to talk about. I do agree that some things were starting to be repeated however in the world we live in this subject is just beginning. I have been impressed with the civility in the vaccine thread. Maybe because I wasn't able to read the deleted posts???

russholio

Are you suggesting we are being censored based on opinions put out there as apposed to violating JD rules? We do have to follow the rules, but if we are and still having posts deleted due to differing opinions then we have something to talk about. I do agree that some things were starting to be repeated however in the world we live in this subject is just beginning. I have been impressed with the civility in the vaccine thread. Maybe because I wasn't able to read the deleted posts???

The stated reason for the thread being locked was because "we don't advocate violence", and at least three posts were deleted, none of which advocated violence. I don't know what may have been posted after my last (deleted) post, as a couple hours elapsed from then until I returned and found it locked. Draw your conclusions as you see fit.

I do agree that things were getting rehashed and repetitive, but like you I thought it was pretty civil. I've seen far worse.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I'll look into things and see if the thread can be returned without any posts that broke the rules.

-John

L

lenny

I closed it because it was getting nasty, argumentative, and out of bounds. No skin off my butt if John wants to reopen it.

Also, after three pages it was repetitive and tired, and when that happens it usually devolves into animosity and/or politics.

Bruce, me suggesting that we buy more ammo is a cliché,,,,to be prepared. Buying more ammo is smart and does not advocate violence in any way shape or form. The Constitution instructs us to have a well regulated militia in the case of tyranny. Do you think that the constitution is advocating violence?

In reality, I’m shocked, and you know what, slightly offended that you could not find it in yourself to look at context rather than the fact the word “ammo” was written. Honestly, I’m disappointed as I expected more from you, but hey, lots of people think it’s proper to shut people down, thanks for that.

jonesin

i was reading it every day, i didnt read anything violent
i agree that it was amazingly civil, i for one have been keeping my violent thoughts to myself :smile-new:
people have to wake up eventually right?

xcr440

i was reading it every day, i didnt read anything violent
i agree that it was amazingly civil, i for one have been keeping my violent thoughts to myself :smile-new:
people have to wake up eventually right?

Boy you would hope so.... unlike many other sites the discussion was about as civil as it could be. People need to lighten up and LISTEN more, to understand more, rather than just feeling like they have to “stick to their guns”, and that phrase has nothing to do with ammo or violence.

L

lenny

Boy you would hope so.... unlike many other sites the discussion was about as civil as it could be. People need to lighten up and LISTEN more, to understand more, rather than just feeling like they have to “stick to their guns”, and that phrase has nothing to do with ammo or violence.
Very well said,,,,,and clever!

goofy600

As I don’t agree with censorship the thread that got closed was starting to go off topic and take a wrong turn there were a few posts that truly didn’t belong. I don’t know if if the people in charge contact someone when a post is removed and let them know why but maybe that would help that person understand why they were censored. Don’t know just a thought.

whitedust

Who cares what I think but I thought the thread was repetitive but civil. I didn’t see posts that were deleted but if they broke the rules delete them and allow the body of the thread to continue. I don’t like censorship in any form allow opinions to be heard and usually JD members agree to disagree or edge to the middle. Locking this thread seemed extreme to me because it may have taken a negative turn but not because it did break the rules seems goofy to me.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I went in and did a little cleaning up, but looks like most of the offending threads were already removed before the thread was closed. It's my opinion that the right thing was done to close the thread. It was taking a bit of a turn for the worse. Primarily by just one poster. The mod did not delete the thread, just close it, which shows a lot of respect for the powers given to them as a mod. It allowed a time out of sorts to happen and allow me to review things and take the action I saw fit.

I agree that up until the very last few posts, everyone respected the rules of the board very well and I am grateful for that respect. I also see that in all other threads on the board.

It is pretty clear to me as well as lots of members of the board that the vast majority that post have one kind of political ideology. I have absolutely no issue with that and respect it fully. With that said, many have also told me that they just come in to read and are afraid to post because they feel they would get "attacked". Attacked might be too strong a word and might not even be the word that most used, but it is clear that many that come to the board do not post for fear of some kind of retribution. That saddens me.

I thing just about everyone on this board does believe that people are entitled to their opinion. I would just like to ask that maybe the replies can be toned down a bit and made more friendly. That would allow more folks to take part in the discussions.

So to modify the Golden Rule, I ask that everyone "reply to others as they would like to be replied to"!

Thanks!

-John

russholio

Thanks for the insight, John. I can only assume that since at least two of my posts were deleted, they must have broken the rules. I honestly don't see how. I'm generally a "play by the rules" guy and it's never my intent to intentionally break the rules on this forum you generously provide. If you or a mod could clarify that would be great, as I'd really like to stay out of JD jail. :)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the insight, John. I can only assume that since at least two of my posts were deleted, they must have broken the rules. I honestly don't see how. I'm generally a "play by the rules" guy and it's never my intent to intentionally break the rules on this forum you generously provide. If you or a mod could clarify that would be great, as I'd really like to stay out of JD jail. :)

I think yours might just have been a case of collateral damage!

L

lenny

Okay, thanks.....that makes me feel better! :)

FINAL POST::::::::::::::

Because of the censorship, I’m asking to be removed from the membership. Lots of good years here but I stand on principle and will not tolerate ridiculous censorship. Thanks Bruce!