Communicators?

mur5213

Range? ease of use? can you hear? how long the battery lasts? service issues? Have used Collet communicators in the past and they were just ok, they finally died and we were looking to upgrade. Thanks for your input.

mrc3

They work well for me and my family. A battery in good shape should last all day.

The voice activation is good and they have improved it on newer revisions.

There are some things related to usage that are probably similar to the Collets.

Best if only one person is talking at a time. Wait until you can hear the other person vox un-trigger before replying. When more than one chatterbox is transmitting, everybody else gets a pretty ugly noise.

Keep the messages short as the vox tends to cut you off on longer sentences.

Use some throwaway word to trigger the vox before getting to the important part of your message.

Range is good, probably better than the colletts.

Voice clarity is good but depends on microphone placement.

Mike

joks79

They work well for me and my family. A battery in good shape should last all day.

The voice activation is good and they have improved it on newer revisions.

There are some things related to usage that are probably similar to the Collets.

Best if only one person is talking at a time. Wait until you can hear the other person vox un-trigger before replying. When more than one chatterbox is transmitting, everybody else gets a pretty ugly noise.

Keep the messages short as the vox tends to cut you off on longer sentences.

Use some throwaway word to trigger the vox before getting to the important part of your message.

Range is good, probably better than the colletts.

Voice clarity is good but depends on microphone placement.

Mike

X2, but I have never used any collett's

also nice to plug the Ipod into them and have music playing while you ride.

indybru

I had Chatterbox's about 8 years ago and after a few years some of the units didn't work. When they did we were very happy with them.

I switched to Collett's the little one's 900? and they never worked right for us. I sent them back and it helped but not for long. I never heard the groomer beacon feature.

If I'm going to get a new set it would be Chatterbox.

cries

Chatterbox is junk. I have owned/upgraded 3x and they never worked right. I have one unit of two where I can listen to the Ipod. Other one is dead. Beware.

blkhwkbob

I have 4 Chatterbox HJC-90's. Very old. They still work like the day I bought them. Of course, that means they have a range of about 100 yards, but that is all I need to communicate with my group. You're gonna need batteries every few years, and the helmet clips are fragile. I can still find all the parts I need online somewhere.

Charge them, and they will last all day. Great tool for the trails.

mrc3

Oh yeah, forgot about the helmet clips. I ended up making some aluminum outer brackets for the helmet clip. I'm sort of afraid to use the mp3 player option with it, music I like to listen too might get me to revved up to drive safe :), so I can't tell you if that function is reliable.

blkhwkbob

Oh yeah, forgot about the helmet clips. I ended up making some aluminum outer brackets for the helmet clip. I'm sort of afraid to use the mp3 player option with it, music I like to listen too might get me to revved up to drive safe :), so I can't tell you if that function is reliable.

It works, but I find the volume to be very low. And Metal and snowmobiling go together great!

soxfan3

Been using Chatterboxes for 15 years. Work very well on the VOX system for small group, 5 or 6 sleds. Our group has increased to 9 or 10 & now sometimes get static, push to talk button mounted on handle bar solved those problems. Guys in middle use PTT, lead guy & sweeper using VOX worked best for us. Very nice to have when front guy sees trouble ahead. Nice to know when sleds or a bad corner are coming and for guys in back to yell for a downed sled or something. Batteries last all day when charged, replace about every 2-3 years. I drain mine & recharge for a couple of cycles a week before our first trip. Helmet Clips - yep, by a couple or make one from aluminum or something, they break easy when cold. Did see some guy on ebay selling aluminum ones, but haven't seen it lately.

cmharcou

I had a friend just got his back from repair. He sent them in November. called a dozen times and no answer. He finally got ahold of somewhere and had to pay overnight shipping to get them back in time for the trip. I think 3 Months is ridiculous.