Conditions for the last LES storm

Polarice

I was wondering what the conditions were that caused the last major LES event. The event that I'm referring to was on 1-1-12. I believe it started that night. Wasn't it just LES snow and not system snow? Why was there so much and the rest of the LES events are much less?

Thanks in advance!

Polarice

I'm about 16 miles south of Munising. I woke up and the fluffy stuff looked like about 20 inches. It packed down though after that.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't remember the exact conditions, but I believe it started out as a bit of system snow, followed by lake enhanced snow and then pure lake effect. As to why that one in particular gave more snow than other LES events, it just is a matter of the conditions (things like wind direction, atmospheric stability, air temps, atmospheric moisture and any possible convergence of the winds at the low levels) being favorable for your locale.

Sorry I could not be more specific, but I just do not remember all the specifics to that event.

-John

Polarice

Okay thanks for the info! The reason I ask is because there hasn't been a snow like that since over that way. Sure they receive half the amount or so. It's just nice to wake up to over a foot of powder! That is one of the best things in life!