cooking brisket

hemi_newman

hey john,
I seen in your last journal that you cooked a brisket.I have been wanting to try and cook a slab myself.Would you be willling to share what kind of rub you used and your method of cooking it?thanks

Firecatguy

I also wanted to try this and few weeks back!!and I did......here is what I found......

John,
Im not sure if walmart up your way has grocerys but the one at my cabin does and we found a nice smaller cut!!!!!I also did ribs that day here is the how I did it...followed this guys ways.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAhx9iSndwo&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAhx9iSndwo&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

here my pics of my meat

Brisket042.jpg

Brisket064.jpg

Brisket061.jpg

I have an older model that I got years ago and only tried once or twice.....beef ribs are no good.....brisket was awsome....going to try pork ribs next

Brisket041.jpg

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
hemi_newman-

Here is the recipe that I used for my brisket:

For the rub:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons onion salt
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 teaspoons coarse salt

For the mop:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup beer
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper.

I mixed all the ingredients for the mop and then brought to a boil, reduced the heat and simmered for 10 minutes before using. Not sure if all that was needed.

For the serving sauce I got a little more creative. I ended up with about half of the mop sauce left over, so I used that as my base for the serving sauce.

I kept the fat cap on the brisket while it smoked (some say to keep it, some say to trim most of it). Then after smoking and letting the meat rest, I trimmed the beef into thin strips, going against the grain. These strips then had the fat cap still on them and I did not want all that fat as part of what was being served, so I trimmed it off at that point. I really hated to waste all that flavor in the small strips of fat cap, so I put them in a sauté pan and rendered them down just like you would to make really crispy bacon. I then added most of that rendered, liquid fat to the mop sauce. Took the crispy chunks of the fat, put them into a food processor (a blender would probably work too), ground them up to where they were a paste and added it to the mop sauce as well. I also added any juice that came out of the brisket while I cut it to the mop sauce mixture and then low boiled it for about 10 minutes. I can only imagine how much fat was in that serving sauce, but it was awesome!

Good luck with your brisket. Real low heat (225-235) and real slow
cooking (12-16 hours) is the trick.

Firecatguy- What was wrong with the beef ribs? They looked plenty good to me! So did the brisket. Going to try some pork baby back ribs later this week myself. Maybe a turkey breast over the weekend to use in sandwiches next week.

I'm gonna need bigger snowmobile gear for this next season!

-John

hemi_newman

thanks john im going to give it a try this weekend hopefully!Im sick of watching those shows on the food channel that show all the good bbq down south and we have nothing like that up here.

millertime

John-
Your recipe is pretty close to mine, couple of things I do different are:
1- rub my brisket with yellow mustard to help the rub stick
2- insert garlic cloves under the fat cap.
3- I use a SOP rather then a MOP, I put my mop sauce in a spray bottle and mist the meat, thus not moving any of the rub around with a mop. (you cannot use any large spices like the red pepper) I then cook the rest down with added spices for the side sauce.

Another trick I found was to marinate the slab in papaya juice for 24 hours, then rinse and rub and put back in the fridge for another 12 hours. The acid in the papaya is one of the best acids to break down the protiens (don't worry it won't add a tropical flavor).

Happy smoking!

frnash

The acid in the papaya is one of the best acids to break down the protiens [sic] …
Acid? Well actually it's not an acid, but an enzyme, papain, in fact (a.k.a. papaya proteinase I, which is also the primary active ingredient in Adolph's® Tenderizer) that breaks down the proteins.