Cops on Sleds

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appleton P.D..jpg
The winter of 1916 brought with it Appleton’s first snowmobile. Contemporaneous reports indicate the Appleton Police Department needed to get innovative while traversing the city’s snowy streets out on patrol:

“Police Department has obtained a Motor Sleigh. In order to combat the cold winter in getting around the city in a hurry up calls, Officer Deltgen has invented a new device which is being attached to his motorcycle. Deltgen obtained sleighs and attached them to his motorcycle and thus has made a motor sleigh. It is expected that the new vehicle will appear on the city streets within a few days.”

Here, Officer Al Deltgen is pictured showing off his new contraption to a couple of, presumably very jealous, Appleton Fire Department firefighters.

Looking at this for awhile I make out the siren and light on the front bumper. Chains on the Tire. Near the rear seat what looks like a brake, just a stick on a hinge. Maybe they used that for steering assist. She doesn't look like she would turn very well. What's the rocket shaped thing above the pistons? Gas tank/gravity fed? No handlebars, must be steering with his feet. Anything else you guys see?

mezz

Only you can find stuff like this Gary! LOL, Excelsior was any early bicycle mfg and then began to chase in the motorcycle market. I learnt a little sumptin watching American Pickers lol. It appears that this animal pictured is in fact steered with his feet much like the runner sleighs we enjoyed as kids. The lever at the rear is the brake. Copied that with many coaster carts we built as kids...... Nice Find!

united

Must have a lot of faith in that back fender. Imagine if a chain came loose or a rock got shot up.....ohhh right in the sac.

skiroule

Since it really is a modified motorcycle, I suppose one could make the argument that this was the first snow bike. In any case, it’s pretty cool and interesting that way back then some creative individuals were already thinking about the concept of a lightweight form of snow transportation.

This must have been the 2-up touring version. Wonder what it could do on the top end?