Couple ? on 1973? Evinrude 35 rotary

lotoftoys

It has been sitting in my shed for a while so time to get started. Guessing a 73 with 35 wankle rotary which is going to be a learn as I go. 1. What oil and proper mixture? It has e - start so guessing 12 volt? Any lawn and garden tractor battery Ok initially? Thanks in advance.

snoluver1

Any decent snowmobile oil work fine for that engine. Just don't use boat oil. The original mixture was most likely 20:1, but that was based off oils of the time. With today's much higher quality oils, you should run 40:1.

Pretty sure it's a 12 v system, but not positive. I'd assume there is a charging coil for the battery, so you could probably start the engine manually, and then put a meter on the battery terminals to confirm system voltage.

G164

It has been sitting in my shed for a while so time to get started. Guessing a 73 with 35 wankle rotary which is going to be a learn as I go. 1. What oil and proper mixture? It has e - start so guessing 12 volt? Any lawn and garden tractor battery Ok initially? Thanks in advance.

It has a 12V system. DO NOT run the engine without a battery installed (even a dead one is ok), it can damage the electrical system and ignition power pack.

As far as the engine goes the BEST oil to use is the original RC oil sold by OMC. Otherwise a good high quality 2 stroke synthetic like Klotz or Amsoil. It’s a 50:1 engine but I would go with 40:1. They are VERY prone to overheating should not run it much above freezing. Must use the surface gap spark plugs as well. They also have a nasty habit of swallowing the secondary butterfly. Most people remove that.

Last edited:

skiroule

Would be cool to see a video of it running once you get it going. Love the sound of those rotary engines at idle.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might be a dumb question here but are we mixing 2 cycle oil in the gas? Weren't the Wankels lubed similiar to 4 cycle engines? I had one in an early Mazda RX7. I recall it had twin rotors with an oil sump. Performance was fine but the engine life was poor. They didn't last compared to conventional engines.

G164

No such thing as a dumb question...
The rotary’s in a snowmobile have the roller bearings lubed by the oil in the fuel. Your Mazda rotary used a conventional wet sump system with a pressure pump to lube the Babbitt style bearings.
A Rotary is actually a No Stroke engine since it doesn’t have rods/pistons. The roller bearing system is much simpler and lighter weight vs a wet sump system. They do have Apex seal issues (rotor to case seal) and overheating issues with warmer ambient air temperatures, these things always run hot (as in exhaust system red hot when running hard). But, they also have 3 combustion cycles (3 sided rotor) for each engine revolution. THAT’S why they make so much power and are so smooth, but unfortunately not very fuel efficient.

Last edited: