craftsman snow thrower

meathead

I have a 2010 26" craftsman (great company back in the day)....It had a joy stick for moving both chute (left and right)and moving chute tip up or down.But after 3 times repairing or replacing control pieces I've had enough!!!!! Looking to adapt the old, off set crank system they used years ago.But having trouble getting the part. It appears to be a simple fix .Just saw a new one at my local ACE but
didn't get there in time .(Just got 10" of white stuff Sat/sun... they sold out) They went back to off set system on new units.Anyone with honest thoughts????? A little ribbing OK. But just don`t beat up on this old dog..

meathead

Thank you Gary.Just spent last 2 hrs looking at that site you mentioned but no luck...Even tried to get owners manual from other makers but to no avail.I know it would work. But all I need is the rod .Frustated

euphoric1

Thanks , going to try some local small engine repair shops in this area.

meathead, get me the model number of the machine you have, that unit may have been made by MTD and depending on what it is I may be able to line you up with the parts you need to convert to a chute crank. Im assuming its a MTD made snowblower branded craftsman and if its the control I think it is and am very familiar with, its an over engineered POS set up, I agree with you. Get me that model number and I will see what I can do for you. I own a outdoor power equipment business.

meathead

meathead, get me the model number of the machine you have, that unit may have been made by MTD and depending on what it is I may be able to line you up with the parts you need to convert to a chute crank. Im assuming its a MTD made snowblower branded craftsman and if its the control I think it is and am very familiar with, its an over engineered POS set up, I agree with you. Get me that model number and I will see what I can do for you. I own a outdoor power equipment business.

Thank you for the help....2010 last #s are 88970.BTW.At 11 yrs old not looking for new just useable .Also ,heading up to JDSP on the 11th and I see you are on my way.

euphoric1

Thank you for the help....2010 last #s are 88970.BTW.At 11 yrs old not looking for new just useable .Also ,heading up to JDSP on the 11th and I see you are on my way.

We are heading up there the 12th - 19th, I have an mtd outside (most sears were made by them) I would be willing to part out if it will work the chute, crank, base are all there just depends on what yours is like, I will PM you my cell phone number, take a picture of it and I will see if it will work for you.

Last edited:

meathead

Thanks again. Just getting up now and having my 1st cup of coffee.will be getting that pic to you soon. I stay up at Scott's Superior Inn in Ontanogon So maybe we can ride together as I have riden that area for years.

meathead

How'd that ever turn out, did you find the part?
YES . euphoric1 has a business about 45 min. north of me .He has a unit that I will be able to part out. It will be better than the vise gripes on the turning rod I am using now......HEY it ain`t preety but it WORKS..BTW what would you expect from an OLD DOG...

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to hear. If you haven't used Vice Grips and Duct Tape at some point, you're not trying. Gitter Done and Keep're Movin!

meathead

Good to hear. If you haven't used Vice Grips and Duct Tape at some point, you're not trying. Gitter Done and Keep're Movin!

AT 70 yrs old I can`t tell you the miles of duck tape I have used..LOL And don`t get me started on how many times I have MAGUIFERED things till I can get it fixed properly...Thanks again to euphoric1 for his help! Looking forward to seeing all in the U.P. this wk/end