crappie fishing

L

lenny

I am needing tip for crappie fishing, never fished for them and not a clue how

Dave_B

The only time I remember going Crappie fishing was at night with a lantern hanging over the side of the boat. I don't remember if it worked, but that's what they did back then.

mrsrunningbear

the biggest thing is finding their spots, maybe you should find some friends to go with....;)

Attachments

• Bucket of crappies.jpg
    Bucket of crappies.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 68

racerx

Years ago when I fished that is all we went for on vacations in Rhinelander and Waupaca. They are very simple to catch but tricky to find. We did worms,minnows, minnows with a small plain jighead and one jig I believe was Mr.Twister (simple jig with a small tail). Mainly just like harvest said pole/bobber/minnow, we even used those 3 section cane poles to get the bobber further away from the boat.

now that I mention this it has been decades since I fished and think it is time to try it out again. Heck I brought some fishing gear up to the lando camp and it has just sat there on the shelf

snowfish

1/16 oz Chartreuse Jig, 2 inch White Berkley Power Grub, smallest Betts Silver Jig spinner you can find, 4lb FireLine Crystal, 5ft Berkley UltraLight Lightning Rod, Zebco XR spinning reel (second from the smallest). You'll have a blast with the bass on this set up too! This is pretty much my "go to" rig for "high percentage" fishing.

Location changes as the season progresses. I'm still finding them on the north shoreline bays. Structure (sticks, cabbage clumps, etc)leading to deeper water, with a darker bottom seems key. Around here, they are starting to get a little deeper. Monday morning it was working 10ft of water, casting slightly shallower, and just clipping the tops of the early weed growth.

In a couple weeks they'll be more suspended, in about the middle of the water column, in about 15-20ft of water.

Don't just anchor and hope they come to you. Hunt them down! When you catch 1 or two, work that area good. They're a school fish so more are there.

I'd try your favorite bass spots, but don't fish the slop. Back away from the edge of the break. Crappies seem to like a little more room to more. Instead of casting towards shore, try cast out deeper. Let it sink a little then retreave. You'll probably find that crappies have been there the whole time.

I rarely anchor unless I'm in an evening spot and know the school will hang out for a bit. And have not used live bait, for crappies, in over 20 years.

UltraLights & Crappies is one of the best decisions you can make. Go get 'em! Fish On!

Attachments

• May 2010 008.jpg
    May 2010 008.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 36
  • May 2010 023.jpg
    May 2010 023.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 45

snowfish

Lenny,

Nine to Ten feet this morning. Same setup. Northeast bay just outside the weedline. Just kept a few, enough for dinner tonight for the Wife, Daughter InLaw, & I. (4 crappies, 1 sunny) Shame on you Mrsrunningbear. Save some for seed.

Lenny, if you e-mail your crappie lake, I'll try to point out the potential areas.

jk.absolute@charterinternet.com.

Fish On!

Attachments

• June 5, 2010 001.jpg
    June 5, 2010 001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 26
  • June 5, 2010 002.jpg
    June 5, 2010 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 25

mrsrunningbear

Lenny,

Nine to Ten feet this morning. Same setup. Northeast bay just outside the weedline. Just kept a few, enough for dinner tonight for the Wife, Daughter InLaw, & I. (4 crappies, 1 sunny) Shame on you Mrsrunningbear. Save some for seed.

Lenny, if you e-mail your crappie lake, I'll try to point out the potential areas.

jk.absolute@charterinternet.com.

Fish On!

snowfish, we tossed back just as many or more than we caught, was just one of those great days of fishing...:eek:

snowfish

I retract the scolding. Sorry, That must have been a blast! Nice job! Maybe I should come visit...............Man, this working for a living breaks up the whole day. LOL!

mrsrunningbear

snowfish, we love visitors :) and it was a blast! And me mrs big mouth couldn't even carry on a conversation they were biting so fast I had to pay attention and fish...LOL

peppermill

These were caught a few weeks ago. Everyone that was fishing caught their limit within 3 hrs. It was a blast. They did slow down for a couple weeks as the lake turned over. We went out again the other afternoon and they started biting again. Husband and I caught our limit again in 3hrs.