Crawfish River, jefferson/waterloo

Does the crawfish/rock have enough snow to run? I would imagine it's plenty froze at this point, just maybe light on snow. Dad is bugging me to run the river this sat, but i'm thinking we will be running low on lube and feeling every last thing with low snow cover........

RVR RNR

My friend lives on the Rock in Jefferson- said he rode the Crawfish on Sat.- plenty of snow but, the 4-wheelers were on it when it was warmer, now it's all rutted. :(

srt20

Rock has plenty of snow. Crawfish has snow too. Plenty of ruts from people riding on slush earlier.

If somebody was riding a atv on the crawfish, they probably aren't very bright. The crawfish isn't a very safe river. Though it's shallow most everywhere.

The rock above the dam in jefferson is pretty good.

Can a guy run the Crawfish/Rock to Koshkonong and stop at Sunset yet? Or is the ice too thin below the Jefferson dam yet?

I've never been above the dam on the Rock. I always put in on the Crawfish since my folks are in Waterloo.

attack_06

where can u unload to get on either river around j-creek also would think u could ride the fox from burlington down into illinoise as well

srt20

Can a guy run the Crawfish/Rock to Koshkonong and stop at Sunset yet? Or is the ice too thin below the Jefferson dam yet?

I've never been above the dam on the Rock. I always put in on the Crawfish since my folks are in Waterloo.
I haven't yet, but I am this Saturday. A bud of mine did a couple weeks ago and said he had to skip water in a few different spots. If you have been on the river below the dam before, you know what I'm saying. If you haven't, don't stop unless your on land. There is a few spots that never really get safe.
But if you are coming down the crawfish, it shouldn't be a problem because you are used to the open water in Milford.

srt20

where can u unload to get on either river around j-creek also would think u could ride the fox from burlington down into illinoise as well

HWY B 1/2 mile west of JC. A little boat landing park.

IDK if you guys are familiar with the river, but don't go North of HWY 26 above the Dam. Near Watertown. Never really gets safe, and nothing up there anyway. Most people go to Linda's Lookout and that's as far north as they go. There will be some tracks heading north, but open water and thin ice is all you will find by watertown.

If you head below the Dam in jefferson I would expect to find a lot of rutted ice from people riding over slush that has frozen. Same for the Crawfish.

Not trying to be your momma, it's just someone usually drowns every year or so on the river. And with no snow around, the rivers are going to be busy this weekend.

srt20

Btw if you are looking for the absolute safest part of those two rivers, ride between the dam in Jefferson and Linda's lookout in Grelton on the Rock. Should be able to stop on any straight a way on this part of the river. It's always the first to freeze good and always has the most tracks on it to pack the snow down and help with ice making.

Under the bridge in Milford can be sketchy. There is one golden path through there that freezes, even though it looks scary. Otherwise, I know multiple folks jump on the trail for the mile or so and go around that spot to keep going on the river. Back in the day, i'd just give er across the open spot in Milford. Now i'm older and wiser, or something of the sort. I wouldn't want to take my dad over any questionable spots, he's 78 but thinks he's 18 on a snowmobile....

I took a quick shot on the crawfish this past saturday. It was rough as snot, and had very low snow cover. Pretty much what I was expecting. I didn't stay on it long. On a positive, I didn't see any open spots. Just needs more snow.

I turned around at Milford, didn't see many, if any tracks going under the bridge there towards Jefferson.

Any reports of Jefferson towards Ft. ?

Crawfish from Astico in Dodge down to Jefferson is pretty much rough and drifty from the last warm up when riders rode slush which now froze. Makes it tough to find smoother areas but the sides are not too bad. Little bit open in Milford, but the really bad is Fort - seems commercial guys may have plowed across the river in spots... right to the ice which is so hazardous most I know have turned back. No reports I heard of anyone going up the steps to the Rock in Jefferson either. So I think you can make it to Sunset in Fort... just gonna be painful to get there.