Current snow depth in Sierra Nevadas...is this accurate?

matti

Hi John. I hope you're feeling better. I'm not sure you're up to answer questions at this point, but I thought I'd post it here in case you or anyone else has thoughts. This site shows that a reporting station in the Sierra Nevadas a bit south of Lake Tahoe has a current snow depth of 276". I know the Sierras had record snowfall this season, but this station is reporting a depth nearly 100" higher than other reporting stations in the area. Any thoughts on the accuracy of this report, or what would cause this location to be so high? Thanks!

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/repo...dy=2011&dm=6&dd=9&units=e&sort=value&filter=0

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I am not familiar with this station or the details of the region at all, but when I click on the station itself, the data in the chart indicates that the snow depth is around 50". I might be misunderstanding the chart, or perhaps something is amiss. A 276" snowpack would not be totally unheard of for a mountain location in early June- especially if they had record snows.

I wish I could give you more input than that, but without being familiar with the station and it's location vs. other stations in the region, I really cannot give much more info.

-John

matti

Thanks John. I guess I didn't click on the actual station location link. I do see where it shows about 50" on the graph. If I look on the far-right vertical axis, there is a blue spot right at 276"....this makes me think there could be some type of misrepresentation or error in the graph. Thanks again.