current system

L

lenny

John,

From watching the radar and the track of this storm, it looks to be a perfect track at the moment to hit all the UP. The current thinking is we will not get the heavy stuff like to the east. Is it possible the track and changed a bit and may be more to the north and west or am I to simplistic in thinking it will just keep going the way it is going? You mentioned a split flow, does that ean as this system moves north the other flow will push it away from us? Now you know why I swing a hammer for a living.

Lenny

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lenny.

Your eyes do not completely deceive you. The storm is tracking a bit more to the north than was forecasted previously. Not a ton, but enough that when combined with the fact that it looks like the moisture will be tossed off to the NW of the surface low in a more aggressive manner has the new idea being much of the western UP could see 6"+ from this system, rather than a 3-6", with isolated 6+ affair. The heaviest snow band is still off to our east and south a bit, but it is looking more and more like the Heikki Lunta snow dance performed over der in da Twin Lakes this afternoon might have had a positive effect.

-John

whitedust

John,

From watching the radar and the track of this storm, it looks to be a perfect track at the moment to hit all the UP. The current thinking is we will not get the heavy stuff like to the east. Is it possible the track and changed a bit and may be more to the north and west or am I to simplistic in thinking it will just keep going the way it is going? You mentioned a split flow, does that ean as this system moves north the other flow will push it away from us? Now you know why I swing a hammer for a living.

Lenny

Yeppers Lenny I was seeing the same thing on radar but thought what do I know? Sure hope this baby bends a bit west & north!!!:)

Specgrade

John-

If the eastern u.p. newbery to grand marais see's a 12 dump will there be any LES to follow or enhanced because the track is picking up moisture from the great lakes? could we see this as a up to 6" or over 12"affair because of the track. seems the weather guys besides you tend to not give a s......! about us that love the DEEP and love heading north. Also if the ground has frozen and we get some you think it might be worth some break in miles? Got family near newberry and they have no clue.

dooride56

John,
I have been watching radar all day and have noticed the same thing Lenny described. Being in East central Iowa I was hoping it would hit us so we could get some miles on before we head North. So are you saying it might be a lot less then they were calling for? Cedar Rapids/Iowa city are the cities near me. What are you thinking at this time of night for us?

D

Deleted member 10829

dooride56,

As I stated on another thread, John goes to bed by now as he gets up at 3 a.m. or so to start his job. Plus, he's on Eastern time. Best thing is to wait for his forecast in the morning unless he has time earlier to reply, but I'm guessing not. Just FYI. I hope you get enough snow to ride!

D

Deleted member 10829

dooride56,

I just watched the Twin Cities news and they lead with the snow story. She did mention the snow has moved north, but it still looks very good for Eastern IA!! It looked like MOST of IA would get at least 6" or more and much more than 6" in the eastern part!