Current Weather Pattern and Temps not living up to the billing

2blue4u

So far temps here in SE Minnesota have not come close to the advertised highs. We have yet to hit the freezing mark this week like most have predicted (I'm not complaining, believe me). High temps have been 6 to 8 degrees below what the local stations have predicted. I also noticed today that the flags across the street indicate a pretty stiff Northwest wind. I'm going to assume our deep snow pack is the reason for the lower temps but what's up with the wind? I thought we we're in a SW flow? Wouldn't the winds be out of the south?

srt20

I see the cold front has passed into NW.WI already. The winds should be NW behind that.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The deep snow pack across the western Midwest is likely playing a role in retarding the warm up, but it also looks like the models just overdid the eastward extent of the chinook warming a bit.

As for your winds, you had a weak cold front move through around 7 am this morning that turned your winds out of the NW. We are not really in a SW flow setup. That is suppose to happen next week. This week was a westerly flow.

-John