DEALER CHARGE FOR OIL CHANGE?

uperjim

Anyone know what the typical dealer charge is to change oil& filter on a Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile (with the buried filter!)
Thanks

wags

I have two 4 stroke Yamaha's and I do them myself it's not that hard just take your time and lay the parts out in the order you removed them. Once you get to the filter area it is very easy.

todds

...and if it's your wife's sled, don't let her see the sled until it's back together unless you want a bad scowl. See other thread.

catcrazy

I had one done at my Yami dealer and it was $100.00 plus tax. Then I watched my best buddy do his and I will not pay for another one. It is pretty simple just take your time and get yourself a shop manual it will help with everyt
hing.

dab102999

What machine do you have?? On totallyamaha there is a section that has free service manuals to download. At least for RX1/Apex/Attak.

chad66

It is time consuming and you should expect your dealer to charge you anywhere from .5-1hr labor depending on whether you want them to check slides,carbides,gearlube and grease while it's in and if you want to run the full synthetic that alone can run you as high as $60 with filter without labor. Now with that being said after your original 500 mile oil/filter change Yamaha doesn't recommend you changing the filter for another 10k miles so your oil change time and cost is cut drastically. Most of my customers opp to change the filter every other season or oil change.

Chad@M&M

wags

Chad are you saying to change the oil but not the filter until 10k per Yamaha and after your 500mi service?

Thanks,
Dan

whitedust

That is what Yam recomends but I change mine every year. Just can't get my head around clean oil dirty filter.

dab102999

Yea done quite a bit of reading on the subject of oil filters, in fact which brands are supposed to be the best. And actually I think my owners manual says first one at 500 miles and then at 12,000 mile intervals. At least I think that is what it says. Kinda having a hard time grasping that one and don't think I will follow the book on that one. One of the main reasons for this recomendation is the environment that these sleds are in. Even though it is cold they are not exposed to the dust, and unlike the motorcycle division you also don't have to worry about wet clutchs. Because if you really look at it in the big picture alot of guys are saying they go 4 stroke to save on all that oil for a 2 stroke but if you buy Synthetic and a good filter it equals a couple of gallons of 2 stroke anyways. (if not more) I just bought 6 quarts of mobile 1 synthetic. (3.5 for the sled and the rest in case it uses any) and a filter. Oil was $36 and filter was $15. And this is not Yammy brand. That would have been a little more. I just bought my 2 stroke oil for the year bulk from the dealer and it was $20 a gallon. And 2 gallons of 2 stroke usually will last an average person one season on one sled.

chad66

Hey Jim that aint a bad idea...wait maybe it isn't...nope it might be....nope I dont think I can!!! Eh when it comes down to it I still like ol' #4 just still hate the Vike's!

Back to the filter, yes after the original 500 mile checkup Yamaha states you can go another 10-12k miles without changing the filter again while still changing the oil every 2k miles. I think a big part of this we dont have to deal with dust and dirt in are oil in the winter. I change my oil filter every other oil change on my diesel that I run Amsoil 10w40 in and have over 240k miles on her now and still running strong.

Chad@M&M