December 1 Ride in Keweenaw

garyl62

Same thing happened two years ago, no one had posted anything and while my pictures well be nothing special, I couldn't pass up posting the first thread in this section. Too bad I didn't really take the time to shoot more or worked at getting better ones. Oh well, someone had to start the ball rolling!

20141201_161423.jpg Trail 3 heading north out of Twin Lakes

20141201_154422.jpg Trail 3 again heading south just north of D's Base Camp

20141201_154051.jpg The south end of the Freda Loop

20141201_110654.jpg Looking back at the first tracks I made coming down to Vansville off 3 by Phoenix (I didn't warm up the camera enough so it turned out too dark otherwise it would have been a good shot.

D

Deleted member 10829

Looks like a great time and very good snow! How many days did you ride and how did sleeping in the trailer work out? Thanks for getting the first thread going, I've been waiting for someone to do it!

garyl62

Rode 2 days, slept in the trailer 2 nights. Lets just say I was glad to get back to a real bed and a furnace that worked all night long. Long story short, the propane heater I had would only run for an hour or two before shutting down I had an old 1300 watt electric one that we had taken with in the fall "just in case". For some reason I had never taken it out of the trailer. Good thing as I used that, but it's nothing more than a hair dryer. Really not sure it's worth the effort unless you're way out in the back woods someplace. Here is what I had for a set up, it looks better than it feels when it was zero outside and 40 inside.

20141130_234430.jpg 20141130_234357.jpg

just_ride

Same thing happened two years ago, no one had posted anything and while my pictures well be nothing special, I couldn't pass up posting the first thread in this section. Too bad I didn't really take the time to shoot more or worked at getting better ones. Oh well, someone had to start the ball rolling!

View attachment 49064 Trail 3 heading north out of Twin Lakes

View attachment 49065 Trail 3 again heading south just north of D's Base Camp

View attachment 49066 The south end of the Freda Loop

View attachment 49067 Looking back at the first tracks I made coming down to Vansville off 3 by Phoenix (I didn't warm up the camera enough so it turned out too dark otherwise it would have been a good shot.

nice
looks like you had the trails to yourself

timo

reminds me of my college dorm.

Rode 2 days, slept in the trailer 2 nights. Lets just say I was glad to get back to a real bed and a furnace that worked all night long. Long story short, the propane heater I had would only run for an hour or two before shutting down I had an old 1300 watt electric one that we had taken with in the fall "just in case". For some reason I had never taken it out of the trailer. Good thing as I used that, but it's nothing more than a hair dryer. Really not sure it's worth the effort unless you're way out in the back woods someplace. Here is what I had for a set up, it looks better than it feels when it was zero outside and 40 inside.

View attachment 49073 View attachment 49074

garyl62

Rode 2 days, slept in the trailer 2 nights. Lets just say I was glad to get back to a real bed and a furnace that worked all night long. Long story short, the propane heater I had would only run for an hour or two before shutting down ....

Guy I borrowed the heater from told me he looked into it when I told him of the trouble and it was full of spider webs and the regulator was giving him troubles. He went out and bought a new one for his ice fishing shack and it's working great..... on one hand I say "figures", on the other hand I say "hmmm maybe I should try it again..."

bestfib

so did you run a generator for power? i have been wondering about doing this but didnt know where or if I could do it. power would be the big thing. but that is awesome as I have wanted to do this. but 40 is a little cool. lol

garyl62

so did you run a generator for power? i have been wondering about doing this but didnt know where or if I could do it. power would be the big thing. but that is awesome as I have wanted to do this. but 40 is a little cool. lol

I did some checking around for a place to plug into a 15 or 20 amp circuit. Since it was opening day there were a lot of openings so people we more willing to let you "hook-up". Not sure what it would be like in the middle of the season. Call around to places and ask, just be sure to tell them you're only looking for electric and not a full hook-up with sewer and water.