Dew Point

garyl62

Ok, so I'm sitting with my wife last night watching the news and the weather guy is doing the normal stat section of his 4 minute report, I'm not really paying attention then she blurts out "why do I care about the dew point when its 5 below outside!?!?" Then she looks at me with this look on her face like I should know. So I do what any other JD junkie would do and say "I have no idea, but I gotta a guy! I'll ask John"

So..... why do we need to be tracking the dew points in the middle of winter and what effect does it have?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gary.

There is very little need to know the dewpoint in your area when it is that cold. Dewpoint in the winter does have some importance. Like up this way in determining how dry the air is before it heads out over the big lake. The drier the air, the more moisture the lake has to add to it to make lake effect clouds/snow. Not really an issue in the Rockford area though! Also, when the air is more humid in winter, it can feel more "raw". I know to me, dry air at 20 degrees and no wind "feels warmer" than humid air at 35 with no wind.

The only reason I can see would be that the drier and colder the air outside, the drier the air will be when it is heated inside a house.

My guess is that it is just part of the TV meteorologists daily routine and they are just sticking with it to not throw them off.

-John

garyl62

Hi Gary.

There is very little need to know the dewpoint in your area when it is that cold. Dewpoint in the winter does have some importance. Like up this way in determining how dry the air is before it heads out over the big lake. The drier the air, the more moisture the lake has to add to it to make lake effect clouds/snow. Not really an issue in the Rockford area though! Also, when the air is more humid in winter, it can feel more "raw". I know to me, dry air at 20 degrees and no wind "feels warmer" than humid air at 35 with no wind.

The only reason I can see would be that the drier and colder the air outside, the drier the air will be when it is heated inside a house.

My guess is that it is just part of the TV meteorologists daily routine and they are just sticking with it to not throw them off.

-John

Thanks John, I think your last sentence sums it all up. They get in a routine and it doesn't matter if things are relevant or not, its just they way they always do it.