Don't Call Me a Zerk!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought I'd throw this one out there. I have fitting on the rear skid that is plugged and I can't inject any grease into it. What's the best way to free it up? Not a lot of room to work in there and not sure if it's pressed or tapped in the event of removing it. Any thoughts?

gpt

How about dork? They make tools to clear out blocked grease fittings but you need room to work that as well. If it was mine, I'd pull the skid and replace the fitting.

This would do the job but kinda spendy for a single use. Know someone with a heavy equipment repair shop? They likely have such a tool.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about dork? They make tools to clear out blocked grease fittings but you need room to work that as well. If it was mine, I'd pull the skid and replace the fitting.

This would do the job but kinda spendy for a single use. Know someone with a heavy equipment repair shop? They likely have such a tool.
Well, I'm always looking for a good reason to buy a new tool but so far I like Mr Bear's idea.

mrbb

was going to mention, many farmers also have the tools for getting fittings clear, many will LOAN you a tool with a deposit, as will some auto parts stores, tractor heavy equipment shops too!
as unless you have a lot of things with fittings , them tools don;t get used enough to buy IMO
all the more so if you do regular Pm's and grease things like you should
as just greasing often and pushing out old grease tends to keep fittings working forever
its when they sit and don;t get greased often, or properly(or wrong type of grease that things get frozen up on them

this is a good example of why to use correct grease and grease often IMP!

old abe

I have used Mystik Synthetic Blend, low temp grease for many, many years. Excellent results, and never a plugged zerk, or fitting. I also use it on my sled trailers wheel bearings as it is rated for such.

kirk600

Now how do you remove the zerk if its pressed in? My ramp door has a few that won't take grease.........I tried vise grips and it just made a bigger problem

old abe

I have 2 different brands of these "Grease Busters". I usually fill the tube with "Blaster" penetrating fluid first. Blow that through, then grease. It works exceptionally good. Even on old farm equipment that hasn't seen a grease gun in many, many years. The Blaster is far much more able to blow thru the "plug", the grease fitting/zerk, and what the zerk is supposed to be greasing. I leave the Blaster in there for a while to let it "penetrate" whatever is causing the plug. As many times it's not the zerk, but what the zerk is lubricating.

mrbb

Now how do you remove the zerk if its pressed in? My ramp door has a few that won't take grease.........I tried vise grips and it just made a bigger problem
I have used a grinder or dremil, to get pressed one off, and then drill and tap and thread in new one's , gathering there is enough metal to work with
but before doing that I again would try some heat and other things to open the old zerk up, most times it will save you a lot of work or worries of not being able to replace it once removed sue to thin metal! which is maybe why they pressed them in in the first place over replaceable threaded ones!