Doo 550f mileage

Bullcheater

gals new 550f is getting 8 mpg on its first 175 miles. won,t idle warm, dies if you don,t keep feathering the throttle. Is it the jetting?

boss

My 800 did that and the dealer adjusted the throttle cable and oil cable to take out some slack and all is good. Mine has 165 miles on it and mileage still bad but it will be better around 400. I hope. My last one was was that way.

T

Team Elkhorn

How do the spark plugs look? Did you mix oil into the first tank of gas? Maybe you fouled a plug. Fans always run a little rich.

Bullcheater

did not add oil to gas for the breakin. we have not been riding hard as we probably avg. only 30 to 35 mph. My 800r has gotten 15mpg. on the same rides. doesnt act like a fouled plug. we choke it till it starts as it is elec start. and will idle cold almost rite away without the choke on. maybe a choke problem? i will be checkin with the dealer but wanted some feedback first.

T

Team Elkhorn

I would check all the easy stuff yourself if not talk to your dealer. I had a choke stick once,but I couldnt ride it that way.(No power.) MPGs on the fans are really not too good. We have had them and we where happy to get about 10 mpg. Sorry couldnt be more help. Let us know what you find.

Bullcheater

Talked to service mechanic at the dealer today. taking it in tommorrow. thinks it is in the choke adjustment. He says that these are a cold blooded machines and shouldn't idle so soon after start up without the choke on. Also that these idle well when warm. Hope this is the problem.

zr500rider

Have 05 550f been flawless machine so far! They are cold blooded and should not idle that fast after start up....believe dealer is correct....choke adj. You also want to keep eye on plug color....don't know abt newer ones but they always used to run lean from factory! Should run a little extra oil in gas for first tank full (break in period). Think that's only issue i've ever had with mine.....WOT would run lean so had to adj oil pump up a bit....not much. Plugs have been nice brown color ever since and has never fowled a plug either. Yes MPG is not as good, but not bad either depending on how you're riding.....avg. 11-13mpg.

T

Team Elkhorn

Good she gets it back for the weekend. Nothing worse than having a new sled and not being able to ride it. What model 550 is it?

If you have snow that is.:)

Last edited:

-Fluffy-

Just did a big trip in Bayfield Co Wisconsin last weekend, with both myself and my Dad riding 550Fs. I have an 06 550X and he has an 09 GSX. We both got 13.5 mpg over 170 miles. Both sleds have around 1400 miles on them. We weren't putzing along the trails either. Averaged about 35-40 mph. I'm happy with the mileage. It might help a little to use synthetic oil.

Bullcheater

haven't been able to check it again. Stuck a piston after the first 15 miles from the choke getting fixed. and had to have it rebuilt. Skidoo was good tho we have warranty and it was an assembly error at factory. We must have a" Built on friday sled. " HAHa. ! No cost to us. No complaints about the dealer or Skidoo. Just a little fustrating tho.