Drying your wood

booondocker

Since this wood in your wood pile has just been cut, I would expect that it is quite green yet. I know the boiler furnaces can burn green wood, but wonder if you are loosing much efficiency by not letting the wood season for one year?? Hotter fire...etc.

A

admin

Two things come to play. First, I don't think it takes much energy to evaporate the moisture in the wood. Time yes, energy no. So not much BTU's are lost due to the wood being wet. Secondly, the boiler only cycles for heat for around 20-30 minutes every 4-8 hours- depending on the outside air temp. So that means for most of the time it is just smoldering and that smoldering process dries out the wood to some extent.

I guess the bottom line is I have not noticed any difference between burning the wet wood vs. burning the seasoned wood in my boiler.

-John

A

admin

I have never had to start the fire with the wet wood. Always had some scraps from building or woodworking around to use, but imagine it would be a challenge.

-John

A

admin

Pretty much never. I do shut things down once a year to clean and do some maintainence, but it really takes a lot for it to go completely out by itself.

-John

rp7x

i think we may need to see a vidieo of your wood stove in action ps had my first fire in my shop today