Eagle River, WI and east

garyl62

Heading up to pick up a kid who has been working at a camp 30 miles east of Eagle River, WI in a few weeks. Thinking of going a day, maybe 2 ahead of time and pitching a tent for a couple nights. Been looking at sites in the National Forest but not sure I want to take a chance on a un-reserved site, which all but one of the campgrounds seem to be.

Any suggestions on campgrounds in the area, or experience getting a site for a Monday to Wednesday in the middle of August?

garyl62

Was up there the middle of this week. Found the only forest campground that took reservations was at Franklin Lake. Didn't want to deal with trying to find something so I booked a site. This was a great campground, didn't need the reservation but talked to some other campers and they said on the weekends mid summer it's always full. There were about 30 sites right on the lake and a lot of guys had their boats pulled right up to their site. Looked like good swimming at all of them too. Will go back for sure when I can spend more time! Even my wife said she would go once she heard their were flush toilets. Didn't tell her their were no showers or hot water there though.