east coast storm..

timo

JD just wondering what your thinking is on the monster storm out east.
Jim Cantore says they'll be measuring snow with a yard stick.
sound like this will be epic for parts.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
There does look to be some very big snow totals that will result from this storm. I would not be surprised to hear about some 30-40" totals in far NE CT, northern RI and eastern MA. However, what seems to not be getting conveyed is that the geographical area to be impacted by 12"+ snows is fairly small for such a strong storm. Much of the storm will actually be off the coast, so really, you go much more than 100-130 miles inland and snow totals will be less than 12" and the snows look to fall mainly from NYC to Maine (in the US). So big storm? Yes. Big totals, Yes. Big area impacted (like more Nor'easters)? No.

Still, I wish it was me staring down a 3 foot plus storm! The Kamo sled is ready!

-John

whitedust

1960s I grew up out east northern NJ & every early March late Feb we would get 3 footer snowstorms like clock work. Nor'easters dumpings exceed any LES storms I have been in. Nor'easters come on like 4" an hour & wind screams big drifts everywhere & very heavy wet snow. Real nightmare for travel but melts quickly in 2 weeks never know it happened only to have the next Nor'easter 3 footer rip thru. So different than the snow staying power of the midwest states where half inch lasts a week. lol.

timo

listening to the east coast biased news you would think the world is coming to an end!

\
\
\
There does look to be some very big snow totals that will result from this storm. I would not be surprised to hear about some 30-40" totals in far NE CT, northern RI and eastern MA. However, what seems to not be getting conveyed is that the geographical area to be impacted by 12"+ snows is fairly small for such a strong storm. Much of the storm will actually be off the coast, so really, you go much more than 100-130 miles inland and snow totals will be less than 12" and the snows look to fall mainly from NYC to Maine (in the US). So big storm? Yes. Big totals, Yes. Big area impacted (like more Nor'easters)? No.

Still, I wish it was me staring down a 3 foot plus storm! The Kamo sled is ready!

-John