eastern up

jime

Rode over 500 miles on double groomed trails, thurs. fri. sat. left wetmore at trail 8. Trails were groomed to the gas station in grand marais, easy access. Deep base, flat, all the way to paradise, easy access gas there also. Smooth going south to taq falls and getting gas at newberry may be an issue today. back to grand for a 2nd night. sat rode 411 as far south on groomed trails as garden corners, trail 2 was even groomed then. I'm thinking trails north of the buckhorn, seny, newberry and paradise should hold up well till season ender. I was apprehensive going, but this was some of the best of a 3800 mile year.

Sitting in Seney right now and heading over to Paradise. Everything north and east of Munising and Seney is great. Picked 5" of fresh yesterday. Tons of snow and smooth. Great end of season trip.

snocrazy

Plenty of snow - this week we will lose a lot. Fire Roads will be tore up soon :) taking a couple of days off of work this week.
Just had lunch at Buckhorn. Trial 7 North or there was freshly groomed today. South was not groomed but 4 to 5 inches on top of groomed.....
Its a beautiful day. Sun is shining. Snow is softening up nicely.

We rode the entire system North of Newberry & Seney, Pine Stump, Grand Marais over the weekend and it was great. Good enough that we'll be back Thursday again through the weekend. Lots of snow left.

apholbrook

Can anybody report on how the snow cover is in this area? thinking of making the 5 hour drive up on Saturday for "one last ride". From what I understand you can ride public land off trail and the trails stay open as long as they are not posted closed? can any one confirm if the trails will be open this weekend? Thanks everyone!

We rode the entire system North of Newberry & Seney, Pine Stump, Grand Marais over the weekend and it was great. Good enough that we'll be back Thursday again through the weekend. Lots of snow left.

Well, we tried but couldn't do it. Plenty of snow yet, it just got very warm Thursday and then cooled off enough so as the soft snow turned to rock. No lube and the sleds were running very warm. Went 9.4 miles and loaded up and called it a year. Should have some great off trail yet for some time to come. If I can talk some friends into going I may head back.

apholbrook

we rode trail #8 east of Munising up to Grand Marias and it was almost perfect (hard, yes. ice scratchers where down), then took trail #9 down toward Seney, plenty of snow but getting a little bumpy. trail #43 going west out of Seney was the worst but got much better with every mile away from Seney that we got. Then back to trail #8 and loaded up. It was my first trip to the Munising area and it was well worth getting up at 4am and driving 5 hours there and 5 hours back. put on 180 miles all together. Still lots of snow and if it stays cold this week there still should be plenty to ride next weekend, just stay well north of highway 28. I was kind of disappointed that nobody chimed in after my post last week inquiring about the conditions but all in all it worked out and was a good time.

snocrazy

we rode trail #8 east of Munising up to Grand Marias and it was almost perfect (hard, yes. ice scratchers where down), then took trail #9 down toward Seney, plenty of snow but getting a little bumpy. trail #43 going west out of Seney was the worst but got much better with every mile away from Seney that we got. Then back to trail #8 and loaded up. It was my first trip to the Munising area and it was well worth getting up at 4am and driving 5 hours there and 5 hours back. put on 180 miles all together. Still lots of snow and if it stays cold this week there still should be plenty to ride next weekend, just stay well north of highway 28. I was kind of disappointed that nobody chimed in after my post last week inquiring about the conditions but all in all it worked out and was a good time.

No one chimed in?!?!? Come on. All kinds of info in several threads. You asked if trails are open. Its all public land and the trails are not closed. They just dont groom.
Also, plenty of snow for off trail. It was cold last weekend (look at temps) when you see below freezing in spring = ice and concrete snow conditions. Off trail is not going to be that good. Then again it depends on who you ask. What type of conditions are bad to you is prob not the same as the next person.
Watch the temps is the biggest thing. When 45 or above with sun, going to be soft. Below that with no sun typically your going to have ice.

apholbrook

Thanks for the info snocrazy, that's what I was looking for before. I have never been to that area so I was unsure what I would find. We ended up stopping at Renze power sports and they helped us with the do's and dont's of the area. All said and done it was well worth the drive.