El Nino

G

G

I just read that the Australians have now predicted a strong El Nino to last the remainder of 2015. I believe everything I read on the internet so remind me again what this means for us here in the Midwest. Thanks.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
There are no strong anomalies to the weather in North America in the summer due to El Nino. Although the development of tropical systems in the Atlantic Basin can be impacted in a way that lowers their development.

Winter anomalies are for less snow and warmer than average temps in the north central US that can extend into the northern 2/3rds of the Midwest.

Forecasting El Nino is still more of a guessing game than anything, so I would not put a lot of faith into any forecast, rather pay attention to the past 3-4 months of trends with it.

-John

xc500mod

john,

is there a certain named weather pattern that brings big snows to the western U.S.? it's my understanding they have had a couple really bad years. i'm hoping for a good one this coming winter and want to know what to root for.

thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
john,

is there a certain named weather pattern that brings big snows to the western U.S.? it's my understanding they have had a couple really bad years. i'm hoping for a good one this coming winter and want to know what to root for.

thanks

El Nino does this. The current event was not quiet strong enough during this winter to produce those effects.

-John