El Niño

farmermark

Hey John,

What's the latest on the event and any impacts it may have on the Midwest this summer and winter?

Thanks,

Mark

D

Deleted member 10829

I just read that NOAA is predicting a 90% chance of an El Nino through the Spring of 2016. :(

jd

Administrator
Staff member
That's true Mark. The current event has continued to intensify the past few months and could become one of the stronger events in the past decade or so, which is not saying too much as there has not been a strong El Nino in some time.

I will caution that forecasting the El Nino is a pretty inexact science and is based mostly on comparisons to previous events as well as current trends. So no guarantees as to what this one will do.

Woodtic- The same sort of applies to your situation. :)

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

The article did mention how hard El Nino is to predict and how often it doesn't turn out as predicted. Thanks John.

G

G

On the bright side back in 1997 Polar Vortexes hadn't been invented yet. Maybe we can get a few Polar Vortexes to offset this El Nino season. Everything will be fine. It will be 40 degrees one week and minus 40 the next. Balance is everything.

Sledhead!

If you look at John's handy historical weather info, only 130" total for 97/98......Hope we are not going to repeat that. Last year was bad enough in the UP, seemed like the only place with snow and this Nino thing would create another similar situation:-( Traffic was so bad that trails were getting turned to crap in a matter of hours. However, crappy trails in the UP smoke anything In IL or Southern WI so I won't bitch much.

whitedust

If you look at John's handy historical weather info, only 130" total for 97/98......Hope we are not going to repeat that. Last year was bad enough in the UP, seemed like the only place with snow and this Nino thing would create another similar situation:-( Traffic was so bad that trails were getting turned to crap in a matter of hours. However, crappy trails in the UP smoke anything In IL or Southern WI so I won't bitch much.

We had excellent conditions in Vilas too so mucho traffic but groomers did their thing & weekday conditions were excellent both WI & MI. Weekends were another thing but still ok if you get on less traveled trails in fact pretty darn good if you know where to go. Not on 3 or 107 get the heck off them.lol :)