Enclosed Trailers - Recommendations

michaelbbbb

Guys,

I'm looking to pick up a 101" x 12' trailer pretty quick here, but not sure if I can afford the top for it right away. I'm assuming that the size trailer I'm looking for sets me up for adding a top later...yes? Probably going to stick to a Triton or other top brand.
Any thoughts on make/model of trailers to go for? Ramp vs. Tilt?
I'm looking for easy on/off both now and after I add a top.

Looking to hear what you think about Triton aluminum vs Top Cap fiberglass tops on your two place sled trailers too.
I've seen used trailers with both types of enclosures, and just wondering if anyone had any opinions on one vs. the other.

thanks for you help...

michaelbbbb

I looked at the V nose ones, but don't need drive off, since my sleds have reverse...Doesn't the "V" turn into a slush shelf once you put an enclosure on ?

legend02

I looked at the V nose ones, but don't need drive off, since my sleds have reverse...Doesn't the "V" turn into a slush shelf once you put an enclosure on ?

I wish I would of bought a V inclosed, Tilting of the trailer can be a pain with the top sometimes. I have a two place enclosed with the flip up top. This will be it's ninth year, it has over 30,000 miles on it. Once you go enclosed you won't go back and it doubles as storage all year round.

snow_monkey

V-nose triton, or there is a small producer of trailers in montrose mich Extreme trailers they are also very good and local.

5slednx

Definitely go with a v-nose, much easier than the tilt bed. Had a triton 8.5 x10 tilt with a topper and it was a nice trailer, would have been nicer with a drive on drive off though.

hednup2

Triton Enclosed 5 thumbs up for me.

Got a 12 ft Elite enclosed with the big 4x4 door in the front. I love it, went from a floe 3 place gull wing w/ramp which I might add was a great trailer also to this 12 ft tilt. Seeing as it's a 12 ft I can open it from front and back, easy to trailer, can see around it without no mirroir add ons, I can go on and on but I think you get the message, TRITON ohhh yea baby LOL !!! By the way I got the Gray to match the color of my Silverdo.

rakins800

I'm a big fan of Floe trailers with gull wing doors front and rear. 12ft. drive on/off. add the 13" aluminum wheels. great rig. but pricey. new about $7500.00

600hoic

Banned
My only thought would be that it will probably be quite a bit more expensive to have a top added at a later date. You might be better off just selling the trailer and buying an enclosed trailer later. I would shop around and try to deal with the dealer. My uncle bought a brand new enclosed Triton 12' tilt for only $1900 from Johns Trailer sales in 12/08. Prices have not gone up that much. Shop around and let the dealer know what price you want to pay, how much you know they will sell for come March, and let them know you will wait to buy one then and it may not be from them. I bet they will deal.

yamaha_40th

I have only put my sled in an enclosed drive on/off V nose trailer, I have friends that have the tilt trailers and they seem like a lot of work....I believe in the KISS principle. I just to use my buddies US cargo steel trailer..very nice but VERY heavy. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and decided to go with a RANCE X4 place and I love it...just my .02

radtech82

I just bought a new triton 12 foot drive on drive off with a triton top on it. I live in watertown wisconsin and there is a really good dealer called b & b trailers. I was able to get top of the line elite trailer for $3900 new plus tax. Just giving you an idea of how much it would cost you. btw I really like the drive on drive off. I will say that the ramp is a little big for one guy but i can do it my self. thats my two sense

indyxcr

I agree just bought a new triton elite 12 foot enclosed, around $4,000 drive on drive off is the only way to go, tilt is a pain when your by yourself, we had to sell the 10 foot enclosed the new sleds were a tight fit.
Had other brands over the years triton is the best for a nice 2 place enclosed trailer all aluminium no rust pulls good behind the suv.
Adding a top later is not good, it will never fit right, plus it will cost more.

dooeragain

Just bought a Triton v nose 12' with the salt shield ramps on the frt. love it I was going to enclose later but after a 200 mi trip in slop i'm thinking may not need the the top. I did chose the Elite model. If I'm happy at the end of the year I'll save the weight and stay with the ramps & better gas milege. Paid $1880 At the snow show in Mil. $65 for spare tire, $340 for the ramps.

Last edited:

sxrron

If you have reverse, check out the R & R 11ARC they are $3400 direct from the factory and much more versatile than a lift cap.

ezra

I have a 12ft Triton v nose with the cap.love the trailer the cap can get a bit heavy with a bunch of snow on the top like to the point you can tear the Handel off the cap.the cap on my trailer never gets frozen shut like my cousins flow that pos freezes closed at least 2 times a yr.I like the white I have for summer storage but often think the black would be better for melting snow on the roof.I also wish I would have just spent the money for the inside light kit now I use tap lights with batteries.

Attachments

• October 2008 395.jpg
    October 2008 395.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 25
  • October 2008 396.jpg
    October 2008 396.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29

Sno-Bandit Gary

I just bought the new Triton TC11. I had a clam shell style before but can get a bit heavy to open when full of snow. The TC11 is a cargo door drop down style rear door with a cable a spring assist. It's great for us old guys with bad backs. My Polaris LX 136 fits easily in it as well as my two up. It is a little taller and designed to also accomodate ATV's. It's great for loading and unloading but you need to have reverse.

Gary
www.RomeSnoBandits.com