Epi Pens

pclark

Yesterday I was on a walk on our road and felt that nice hot burning sting and noticed that I had been stung by a bee on my ankle. I continued to walk and got back home and we put some baking soda paste on it to help with the itching and swelling. Did not work very well this time, I decided to take a couple of Benedryl, jumped in the shower and noticed that my tongue had started to swell up pretty bad. My wife insisted that we head to the Emergency room in Minocqua and they gave me a steroid and another type of Antihistimine, by the time I left at 7pm the swelling had come down quite a bit. The Dr. gave me a RX for and Epi Pen 2pak and I have been searching for a decent price for them. It appears our insurance doesn't cover them (I will call them on Monday to confirm) and then the cheapest I could find was $178.00 for a 2 pak at Walmart.

Does anybody have any advice on where to get these Epi Pens for a more reasonable price? I remember that the Maanufacturer a couple of years ago had decided to raise his prices ridiculously on them.

whitedust

Searched Good RX and prices are $100 to $400 for epipens 2 pak. Limited shopping in Vilas $178 about right at Walmart.

rph130

Yesterday I was on a walk on our road and felt that nice hot burning sting and noticed that I had been stung by a bee on my ankle. I continued to walk and got back home and we put some baking soda paste on it to help with the itching and swelling. Did not work very well this time, I decided to take a couple of Benedryl, jumped in the shower and noticed that my tongue had started to swell up pretty bad. My wife insisted that we head to the Emergency room in Minocqua and they gave me a steroid and another type of Antihistimine, by the time I left at 7pm the swelling had come down quite a bit. The Dr. gave me a RX for and Epi Pen 2pak and I have been searching for a decent price for them. It appears our insurance doesn't cover them (I will call them on Monday to confirm) and then the cheapest I could find was $178.00 for a 2 pak at Walmart.

Does anybody have any advice on where to get these Epi Pens for a more reasonable price? I remember that the Maanufacturer a couple of years ago had decided to raise his prices ridiculously on them.
Sorry to hear about your bite pclark. I have noticed that the bees up there have been brutal this summer. I was stung twice in Presque Isle two weeks ago. Once in head on shore and once in thigh out on lake. I am somewhat allergic to them as I swelled and itched but nowhere near what you suffered. My wife is in your category. If she gets stung its an automatic trip to E/R in Minocqua or Ironwood. She got epi pen script from doctor a few years ago and I remember it was expensive but that is something I/we wont be cheap about. Sounds like SHOOT2KILL found a good price out there and hearing your story, I think its time to check expiration dates on our pens and re-stock. Back to the northwoods next week because I can only take so much "Chicago" time and I will be bringing up a good supply of wasp and hornet spray also.

pclark

Searched Good RX and prices are $100 to $400 for epipens 2 pak. Limited shopping in Vilas $178 about right at Walmart.
Thanks WD, That is kind of what I have found as well. Will be calling insurance company tomorrow.

pclark

Sorry to hear about your bite pclark. I have noticed that the bees up there have been brutal this summer. I was stung twice in Presque Isle two weeks ago. Once in head on shore and once in thigh out on lake. I am somewhat allergic to them as I swelled and itched but nowhere near what you suffered. My wife is in your category. If she gets stung its an automatic trip to E/R in Minocqua or Ironwood. She got epi pen script from doctor a few years ago and I remember it was expensive but that is something I/we wont be cheap about. Sounds like SHOOT2KILL found a good price out there and hearing your story, I think its time to check expiration dates on our pens and re-stock. Back to the northwoods next week because I can only take so much "Chicago" time and I will be bringing up a good supply of wasp and hornet spray also.
It's weird, I've never been allergic to bee stings but the Dr. at the ER said sometimes as you age your body doesn't produce enough natural anti-histimines to ward off the bee venom which contains different levels of histimines. So, yes I guess I am in that category now. Check your expiration dates for sure! And....., enjoy your time in the Northwoods, Presque Isle is very nice.

pclark

Thanks guys for all the info, As it turns out my insurance covers the generic version and they are $15.00 for a 2 pak.

euphoric1

never understood why some insurance won't cover, is it because its self-administered? and I thought the manufacturers were caught price gauging on those just recently. I would think a insurance pay out on a pen way cheaper than a trip to the ER but what do I know. Glad to hear you're ok pclark allergic reactions can be a crap shoot with unknown outcomes.

pclark

never understood why some insurance won't cover, is it because its self-administered? and I thought the manufacturers were caught price gauging on those just recently. I would think a insurance pay out on a pen way cheaper than a trip to the ER but what do I know. Glad to hear you're ok pclark allergic reactions can be a crap shoot with unknown outcomes.
Doing fine now, just had a very swollen tongue for a few hours.

m8man

I’ve had an epi pen for 10+ years, not cheap but I di buy them at Walmart, I typically keep them past the expiration dates. Bees, wasps, hornets bad news for me,

M8man