Ever try this method of snow remaoval from your roof ?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Tons of times. You can tell this person was a greenhorn though, as they did not grab the shovel out of mid air as it was coming off the roof with the snow.

Seriously though. I have done a slightly different version. On the shop roof, which is metal. I have put a salamander in the attic space. Heated that up to get the snow to loosen its bond with the roof surface and then tossed a line from the front of the shop to the back, along the ridge line and pulled. The string cut through the snow similar to this, but in a vertical manner. That separated the two sides of the snow on the roof and the both slid at the same time.

-John

jkallinen

I know with a steep enough metal roof you really don`t need much to set it in motion. My brother has pole barn with the side door on the slide path side. He slammed the door a little hard
one time and the entire roof unloaded in front of the door side. He had go out the garage door to dig out his side door. Seen a few other youtube videos where they use what looks like a
long pole with D shaped end with a thin wire attached to a plastic sheet that you work your way up from the bottom and it just slides away on the plastic sheet. You can choose the depth
you want to take down easily, and work your way down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbL5ap1AcVg

Last edited: