Fall colors this weekend?

revx6002003

Wanted to come up to the Keweenaw this weekend on the 30th. Is it worth the drive up there to see some decent fall colors? Wanted to ride the chair lift once at Mt. Bohemia, and I actually got some time to do it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

blizzardmk

This was the view from Brockway on Sunday afternoon. Not a great pic, but you get the idea. Some color out there, but not peak yet.
photo(1).jpg

Near Houghton has more color than the northern Keweenaw. John's journal description seemed pretty accurate. It may not be quite peak color this coming weekend, but the weather is suppose to be great and there will be plenty of color to make for some great views.

Last edited:

handiman

Was up that way last weekend.
IMHO - The colors in northern Wisconsin were better and more wide spread than in the northern UP.

snocrazy

IMHO - The colors in northern Wisconsin were better and more wide spread than in the northern UP.

Agree with you....
This weekend should be pretty nice in the UP. In the Munising area I would say another week after this weekend will be peaking. After all of the rain last weekend, it sure is nice 4 wheeler riding. No dust and the leaves covering the trails, I love this time of year. Always have the .410 in case I come across any Grouse.

blizzardmk

I believe it, but things are changing pretty quickly now. Lots more color in just the last three days.

revx6002003 - I still say come on up!

arcticgeorge

251028_10151164449022436_436828120_n.jpg Have you seen the NOAA pic that shows where the colors are? i'll post it. The colors are nearly peak it parts of the Western UP. I have seen real red one's all ready fading and losing some leaves. This picture is a week old.

packerlandrider

Seems to be getting near peak here around Alberta (MI), lots of trees at full color with some unturned, green trees mixed in. Going to Pictured Rocks tomorrow, will try to remember to take and post some pictures of the colors.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Drove to Marquette and back yesterday. Colors are near peak (probably 4-6 days away) from Alberta through Three Lakes, Michigamme and Champion. Colors in the Houghton/Hancock north to Mohawk still at least 8-12 days away (the further north you go, the less changed), but are changing fast now.

-John

harski

Don't mean to high jack the original question but, Madison, Wi area is looking really colorful these days. It's hard to believe that the Baraboo bluffs would be to dull this weekend.

Harski

Last edited:

blizzardmk

I think we get too fixated on exactly when "Peak Color" will happen. If you drive around in Wisconsin or the UP right now, you will see lots of beautiful colors. If peak is one week away, you will still see beautiful colors. If you ride the chairlift to the top of Mt. Bohemia this weekend, you will not be disappointed with the view.

kwikgren

DSC02245.jpg DSC02248.jpg DSC02251.jpg

The colors are starting to get good up here. I went for a trail run up Mt. Bohemia yesterday and there are more reds in the mix at the summit, and also more leaves dropping. Down by the lake, there are more greens in the mix but full coverage. Personally, I like to see a little white in the mix like we had two years ago for the October ski lift day. I went out on the skinny skis near Calumet later that weekend after my guests left. For that you will definitely have to wait another week or more the way it looks!

revx6002003

Thanks everyone for the input. By the way kwikgren, what are "skinny skis", might be a dumb question but never heard of them.

D

Deleted member 10829

I'm heading up to the Keewanaw tomorrow night so it should be beautiful!

kwikgren

Yup, skinny skis are cross country skis, about 43-50mm (1.5-2") wide, and good for packed trails and bushwacking when the snow is not too deep (like in the early season). Fat skis, about 100-150mm (4-6") wide, are what most of us use at Mt. Bohemia when the snow is deep and ungroomed and you need the extra floatation. It's sort of like the difference between a short, narrow track and long, wide track snowmachine. They each have their niche.

chevytaHOE5674

In case any of you guys were planning on riding the chair lift at Mt. Bohemia this weekend I just heard on the radio that they are cancelled Saturday and Sunday this week.

kwikgren

035.jpg 019.jpg 002.jpg

Pics show colors progressing nicely and fat skis vs. skinny skis. Unfortunately, the lift rides are indeed cancelled at Mt. Bohemia. I am not sure why. There is still lots to do up here and great colors to be seen, either by vehicle or on foot it you are adventurous.