family activities in UP in July

Hoosier

I was thinking of looking into things to do with the family for a week towards the end of July. Maybe we're too late to plan some things but I thought I'd ask on here for some ideas. We live in central Indiana and have relatives we could visit during part of it in Eagle River WI. Was thinking perhaps a trip going through lower MI, then the UP, then end up in Eagle River for a few days. For example - could spend some time at the Indiana Dunes, maybe a day or so at Mackinaw, then go over the bridge and see Tahquamenon Falls, then go over and see Pictured Rocks, then go up to Keeweenaw and then down to Eagle River WI? Obviously I haven't through this all through yet but we had some other plans/ideas that didn't work out. Kids are 16, 12 and 12, and like being in the water. Appreciate any ideas or thoughts from taking kids to the UP, or even things to avoid. If my wife wasn't with I might just fill up the van and go, but I'd be better off having a plan. I'd never really seen it in the summer.

jime

Pictured Rocks boat tours out of Munising was interesting and fun.
Maybe a night in Marquette, plenty to do there. Good swimming and cliff diving at Presque Isle Park right in town.

jr37

Bond Falls, or any other falls in the Kee. Quincy Mine and Delaware Mine. Copper Harbor, you can catch the car show if you're there July 20th. Estivant Pines, Jampot, light houses, Hunters Point, many beaches, Calumet Air Force Station, rent a pontoon from M&M in Hancock and cruise the Portage canal, Fort Wilkins,etc. We are spending a week near Eagle River, MI in July and can't wait to get there.

Last edited:

whitedust

Rent a pontoon in the Eagle River or 3 lakes chain of lakes should be fun for the wife and family for a day. Check to see if they allow you to go thru the lock that connects both chains that would be a hoot!

Magnumb

Stay at the Gateway Lodge, rent side by sides across the street and ride to Lake Gogebic and swim and see the paulding lights on your way back. Grab dinner at Asana Suka or Bear Trap.
Next day go to Sylvania National Forest and swim at Clark Lake and have a picnic.

Last edited:

JeffB

Just an opinion, so take it for what its worth. I'd avoid Mackinaw City/Island unless you really want to see it. Tourism is out of hand.
Take a drive up M119 Tunnel of Trees and check out Harbor Springs, St. Ignace maybe. Pictured Rocks boat tour mentioned above is a good call. Tahquamenon Falls over to Grand Marais would be nice. Stop at the Log Jam, huge steep sand dune overlooking Lake Superior.
Marquette is worth a visit for the beaches, Black Rocks for the kids to jump off of etc. And endless options up on the West end as well.
Once you get to Eagle River, a pontoon rental is always good as is a run up to Minocqua to catch the water ski show. Kids should enjoy that.

lofsfire

Hoosier,

I have a few suggestions but a lot of them have been covered above. There's a ton up in UP obviously... I did the circle around the lake back in 2016 with my kids in a week was nowhere near long enough... But if you just got certain areas you want to check out definitely doable.

You mentioned the Indiana Dunes if you do stop up here shoot me a message. I'm not far. With that said the summer heat and the Indiana Dunes State Park traffic lines have been long to get in...(Like reports of 2 plus hours mainly thanks to all the Illinois license plates) But that's not a deal breaker for stopping in the area. The Indiana Dunes National Park surrounds the State Park and there are plenty of other beaches that have easy access as well. You can find all the beaches on Google Maps... I'll tell you West Beach is nice and then anything east of there will be good too. My favorite would be Kemil Beach but parking can kind of be a pain and you may have to walk a bit... Drive up and down Lake Shore Drive and double check sometimes you get lucky and find something right there but pay attention to parking restrictions. You could go down to Michigan City Beach but to me that's just a beach like any other beach... If you want the Dunes experience You want to hit one of the beaches between West Beach and Michigan City. If you don't want to deal with that at all shoot up to Warren Dunes in SW Michigan.

When you go up to the UP is your plan just to drive straight up there? Or will you be stopping anywhere in the LP. Maybe hit Sleeping Bear Dunes. The whole west coast has some cool towns too!

Hoosier

Hoosier,

I have a few suggestions but a lot of them have been covered above. There's a ton up in UP obviously... I did the circle around the lake back in 2016 with my kids in a week was nowhere near long enough... But if you just got certain areas you want to check out definitely doable.

You mentioned the Indiana Dunes if you do stop up here shoot me a message. I'm not far. With that said the summer heat and the Indiana Dunes State Park traffic lines have been long to get in...(Like reports of 2 plus hours mainly thanks to all the Illinois license plates) But that's not a deal breaker for stopping in the area. The Indiana Dunes National Park surrounds the State Park and there are plenty of other beaches that have easy access as well. You can find all the beaches on Google Maps... I'll tell you West Beach is nice and then anything east of there will be good too. My favorite would be Kemil Beach but parking can kind of be a pain and you may have to walk a bit... Drive up and down Lake Shore Drive and double check sometimes you get lucky and find something right there but pay attention to parking restrictions. You could go down to Michigan City Beach but to me that's just a beach like any other beach... If you want the Dunes experience You want to hit one of the beaches between West Beach and Michigan City. If you don't want to deal with that at all shoot up to Warren Dunes in SW Michigan.

When you go up to the UP is your plan just to drive straight up there? Or will you be stopping anywhere in the LP. Maybe hit Sleeping Bear Dunes. The whole west coast has some cool towns too!
Thanks for your input and others too. My wife grew up in the area of the Indiana Dunes so that was on my list to take the kids there at some point.

We ended up making different plans and won't be going to the UP, but I'll save the all the ideas on here for next summer.

lofsfire

Just a thought, if you have time to bring the kids up in later August or very early September the water temperature will be at its warmest...

Enjoy your trip!