FEB 2 Snow church

Bullitt69

Gibb, thanks for pointing that out - it wasn't until I went to YouTube that could see that - for some reason on the JD site, it hasn't updated since the 31'st. Awesome! Cheers!

mezz

FYI. I have brought this to his attention, there is a lot of folks that visit the site that don't correlate the availability via You Tube. I know he is missing some numbers of viewers due to the lack of updates to the site link. I personally like the availability of it under the same hat as the rest of the site & I'm reasonably certain that is the case with the visitors to this site count on as well. I sure don't want to see the videos go to the wayside due to lack of viewers. John does a lot of work to put the forecast text & graphics together as well as the video, but, if numbers don't increase in the viewership, it may have to go away, I for one sure don't want to see that happen.

Bullitt69

FYI. I have brought this to his attention, there is a lot of folks that visit the site that don't correlate the availability via You Tube. I know he is missing some numbers of viewers due to the lack of updates to the site link. I personally like the availability of it under the same hat as the rest of the site & I'm reasonably certain that is the case with the visitors to this site count on as well. I sure don't want to see the videos go to the wayside due to lack of viewers. John does a lot of work to put the forecast text & graphics together as well as the video, but, if numbers don't increase in the viewership, it may have to go away, I for one sure don't want to see that happen.
Mezz, absolutely dude! I've come to rely on these forecasts and now the SnowChurch video's for my time here in the winter - While the Weather Channel is talking about Texas, which I really don't care about it's great to watch John's Video's and read his forecasts for specifically for the Upper Midwest, where we live! I'm definitely a snow Junkie like all you folks, I've been following John since his time in Lake Linden with the dogs. To lose his forecasts or Snowchurch would be a tragedy for me and the wife, we both love the hope of storms and or LES, and it's been a strange year for sure, not much activity but I certainly do not want this to go away.

whitedust

Idk what I would do without John’s daily Text Forecast and Graphics. I believe John does put a lot of effort into snow church but I confess I tune in only when a big storm is indicated or I’m spending a week in the UP. Maybe John could economize his time and effort with Snow Church and only dedicate to named storms or significant LES dumps. Just a thought for John to consider.

mezz

Idk what I would do without John’s daily Text Forecast and Graphics. I believe John does put a lot of effort into snow church but I confess I tune in only when a big storm is indicated or I’m spending a week in the UP. Maybe John could economize his time and effort with Snow Church and only dedicate to named storms or significant LES dumps. Just a thought for John to consider.
IMO, dedicating forecasts to a "named storm" is meaningless, & for any meteorologist to concentrate only on named storms is a waste. This whole named storm crap was brought on by the Weather Channel & perhaps the NWS of which in my estimation was derived to attract the attention to the general public. Giving the winter storms a name like tropical storms or hurricanes IMO is a waste. LES dumps are difficult to determine snowfall amounts for a variety of reasons. You can see the potential of the event but to tell the amount of snow with any of these events is difficult at best. John probably puts more time into the forecast text than anything just due to the time is takes to type it all out. Bottom line is he is doing a lot for all of us with his forecasting & with no real return on his work. By boosting the viewership on the Snow Church would at least give a sense of his efforts being worth his time. Keep in mind, to subscribe to this costs nothing. I think the quality & reasonable accuracy of his forecasts are well worth the time to subscribe and watch. Experience like this is not something that is equal among all in his field. Personally, I have only known one other that I would call accurate in this field in the Upper Peninsula & that would be our former TV6 WLUC chief meteorologist Karl Bohnak. Sorry for he rant, just my .02.

Last edited:

whitedust

IMO, dedicating forecasts to a "named storm" is meaningless, & for any meteorologist to concentrate only on named storms is a waste. This whole named storm crap was brought on by the Weather Channel & perhaps the NWS of which in my estimation was derived to attract the attention to the general public. Giving the winter storms a name like tropical storms or hurricanes IMO is a waste. LES dumps are difficult to determine snowfall amounts for a variety of reasons. You can see the potential of the event but to tell the amount of snow with any of these events is difficult at best. John probably puts more time into the forecast text than anything just due to the time is takes to type it all out. Bottom line is he is doing a lot for all of us with his forecasting & with no real return on his work. By boosting the viewership on the Snow Church would at least give a sense of his efforts being worth his time. Keep in mind, to subscribe to this costs nothing. I think the quality & reasonable accuracy of his forecasts are well worth the time to subscribe and watch. Experience like this is not something that is equal among all in his field. Personally, I have only known one other that I would call accurate in this field in the Upper Peninsula & that would be our former TV6 WLUC chief meteorologist Karl Bohnak. Sorry for he rant, just my .02.
Ok fine with me whatever is decided as said just a suggestion to economize John’s retirement time based on my personal forecast information use and Snow Church use. Named storms get hyped in populated areas so marketing wise that’s the broad market and that is where viewers want to ride if possible. Others I’m sure have different requirements as said just a suggestion and I’m fine with whatever John desires just trying to be honest and constructive.

mezz

WD, I meant no dislike to what you stated, I was commenting on the whole named storm thing. To me, a winter storm is a winter storm, when you hear of impending storm you follow the forecast. I am on the same page as you as far as Johns time. Viewership numbers on the Snow Church need to grow to make it, that's all I was trying to say.

whitedust

WD, I meant no dislike to what you stated, I was commenting on the whole named storm thing. To me, a winter storm is a winter storm, when you hear of impending storm you follow the forecast. I am on the same page as you as far as Johns time. Viewership numbers on the Snow Church need to grow to make it, that's all I was trying to say.
No problem I understand your intent and I’m concerned about John’s health and workload kinda identify with him and retirement.