Fire roads in wi and up

Snowbandit

I know this is like the best kept secret in the northwoods but how would a couple guys be able to get to know the fire road system in the area? This coming week the trails will get beat and I know there is a huge bunch of people off playing on these roads and enjoying themselves. We want to be those people. Over the last ten years we have asked locals in bars and we get the standard " we just stick to the trails" answer which is b.s. I would even be willing to pay a guy for his time to show us around. We base out of Lac du Flambeau and go every direction and even backpack every now and then. We are late 30s professional business men so no fear about showing punk kids the woods. Basically this appears to be a private club and I want in!:)

Ready, go.......

I know this is like the best kept secret in the northwoods but how would a couple guys be able to get to know the fire road system in the area? This coming week the trails will get beat and I know there is a huge bunch of people off playing on these roads and enjoying themselves. We want to be those people. Over the last ten years we have asked locals in bars and we get the standard " we just stick to the trails" answer which is b.s. I would even be willing to pay a guy for his time to show us around. We base out of Lac du Flambeau and go every direction and even backpack every now and then. We are late 30s professional business men so no fear about showing punk kids the woods. Basically this appears to be a private club and I want in!:)

Ready, go.......

Well I am 55 and not sure I want to give all my secrets to a youngster like yourself either... lol!! Just kidding. I would perhaps look here: https://apps.fs.usda.gov/TravelAccess/ It lists all the trails and you can filter by motorized or not and get a feel for what's open and what's not. I know we frequent them in the UP when we stay in N Vilas county as well. I think you will need to find a friend willing to show you, or (using this info) map out some spots and explore. In the UP most are marked so you can follow them pretty easy using something like Ride Command from Polaris on a smart phone. I thing VV Mapping also has them on the maps for Garmin GPS units as well. Hope this helps. We are heading up to Presque Isle next week - will be assessing the situation right away that's for sure.

- Chiefcheese

whitedust

Beeee careful what you wish for. In WI you can only ride unplowed FRs.....unplowed means not groomed so first time down them with buds and they can be shot and need fresh powder. Yeah they are a lot of fun but no pit stops and no gas so don't approach it casually no one to help you either if run out of gas or break down ...forget about getting hurt. Nobody showed me either so I bought a map and started riding kept notes & U turned when plowed. I figured out what I wanted to know but took a lot of work. Good luck nothing good comes easy.

longtrack

In MI you also cannot ride Plowed FSR"S unless they are Gas Tax Roads. The Ottawa access Map shows which ones you can ride. Carry extra Gas and explore.

old abe

In MI you also cannot ride Plowed FSR"S unless they are Gas Tax Roads. The Ottawa access Map shows which ones you can ride. Carry extra Gas and explore.

Oh no. Be careful without a gun!!! Just a little sarcasm here. Please don't shoot me.