First Time Riding West

jblanck

I am an experienced rider in the northern Wisconsin or the UP areas but I have never been out west. I just booked a trip at Togwotee for end of January/beginning of February. My wife and I will mostly stay on trails with a guide the first day then alone the other 2 days. Are there areas where a person can do some minor off trail riding without getting into trouble? I assume this is prime time for that area?

Excited!,
Jeff

cmharcou

Stay with your guide. He will let you play in the powder and show you some meadows. Lot of fun, but a whole new experience being a Midwest rider.

mrbb

something I will advice you, that you may not have thought about
pay attention to how you;s feel, the altitude difference from where your at to there can make some folks SICK, so if you start to get headaches, or feel dizzy sick like, take breaks drink water, and if need be, get lower!
I know most folks don;t have a issue, buy some do
I took a girlfriend out once, and she got very sick the second day, lucky we were closer to where we stayed and it was lower in elevation that many spots where your going!
so food for thought for you
if possible get there a day early too, to help accumulate to things! and if your not in the best of shape, start getting in what you can before you go, thin air will make you work a lot harder than at home in lower elevations! LOL
you can also get some maps for the CDT trail system,,. as that's what you will be riding
and can look at making some loops
from Tog to over to say the Line shack(if still open, been a few yrs since I was there) is a nice trail ride!
if your really JUST There to ride trails, make calls and find out if you can still make it over to Cora/pinedale say like Green river guest ranch(they gave up there web site a few yrs back, but were still open as far as I know) , or Kendlal valley lodge, they both used to carry fuel and had cabin rentals

http://muleshoeoutfitters.com/kendallvalleylodge.htm

as if your a trail rider, thats a ALL day event, might even be worth looking into, riding one way, stay over and go back!
I know two yrs ago the trail had some issues with washouts , but pretty sure all back up and open
trails there get FLAT FAST and groomed every night almost, and LOW riders, as when you get lower down towards Pinedale, Cora, its a lesser known area and all the crowds seem to stay up higher near Tog!

'I used stay in Cora and ride the other way, had awesome trips and almost never seen anyone else riding,trails, or many off trail, and million acres to play in

things to take IMO< back pack with basic's
a GOOD GPS, and basic safety gear if your going to ride without a guide!
Maps can be had here too

https://travelwyoming.com/wp-content/uploads/uploads/consumer/continentaldivide.pdf

can go here fill out info and they will also send you a bunch of things from maps to other info on area!

https://travelwyoming.com/travel-resources/vacation-guide

and take a good camera, scenery there is awesome!

mrbb

OH and keep this in mind too, almost NO one trail rides out west at night, so don't really expect top be ding much of night time riding!

Take an avalanche awareness class at a minimum. Get all of your safety gear and practice using it.

Your safety gear is not for you, its for the person finding you. Their safety gear is only as good as them; if they can't find you and dig you out, whats the point?

Last edited:

fireworks

They have the gear for rent that you will need. Leaving the trail for some powder is accessible. Keep in mind while going off trail if you get stuck will your other half be able to come help you get unstuck. Getting stuck on flat ground is miserable. Try and ride upward slopes off the trail. That way you can roll sled out of hole and point it back down to trail on your own. Plenty of people to mingle with during social hour to find out pretty much anything you need to know. If renting a car make sure and enjoy one of many awesome restaurants in Jackson. $$$$$ but good. After all, you are visiting an area that the billionaires kicked out the millionaires.

srt20

Do your off trail riding the first day with the guide. That way when you get stuck he can get you out. He will teach you the best ways to get unstuck. Lots of areas to play off trail but yet close to trail. Warming hut is over by Lava Mtn. Make sure the fire is going good when you leave unless its late.
The Pinnacles are over by Brooks Lake, good picture spot.
Im assuming you're staying at TML? Food and gas at Lava Mtn Lodge, and I believe at the place down the hill towards Dubios, I forget the name of it. Food also at Brooks Lake lodge, not sure about gas though, but its close to Lava mtn lodge anyway.
Have fun!

jblanck

Thanks for all the input. We are staying at TML and we will be there a day and a half before snowmobiling, just to get acclimated in the area as suggested. I look forward to checking out some of the sights in town along with restaurants. We are renting sleds out there and they say we will have Ski-Doo Renegade 600s for the trails. I'm ok with that as this is just a get away trip for my wife and I. I appreciate the tips on staying "up hill" in case we get stuck. I don't want to spoil my wife's taste of the area by getting stuck so bad/often that she won't enjoy the trip. She's a good rider as long as we are on trails. I really can't wait to see the sights as we've never been anywhere "out west". I welcome any more ideas for the trip. I'll be sure to post reports. Should I expect a lot of traffic on the trails? In northern Wisconsin the trails get pretty busy, but out west I figure most will be riding off-trail. ??

Thanks. Jeff

srt20

Thanks for all the input. We are staying at TML and we will be there a day and a half before snowmobiling, just to get acclimated in the area as suggested. I look forward to checking out some of the sights in town along with restaurants. We are renting sleds out there and they say we will have Ski-Doo Renegade 600s for the trails. I'm ok with that as this is just a get away trip for my wife and I. I appreciate the tips on staying "up hill" in case we get stuck. I don't want to spoil my wife's taste of the area by getting stuck so bad/often that she won't enjoy the trip. She's a good rider as long as we are on trails. I really can't wait to see the sights as we've never been anywhere "out west". I welcome any more ideas for the trip. I'll be sure to post reports. Should I expect a lot of traffic on the trails? In northern Wisconsin the trails get pretty busy, but out west I figure most will be riding off-trail. ??

Thanks. Jeff

We are usually out west during the week, but some Saturdays. More traffic obviously on weekends, but still very very little traffic compared to midwest trails.
Most out west ride much slower than people on trails here. Most everyone uses hand signals, and they are not afraid to stop in the middle of a corner 2 wide.
If you are not driving like ricky racer, you will have no problems at all.
I can't imagine you will be doing much "powder" riding with a 600 gade. If the snow is hard and set up, that sled will be fine off trail. There is a lot of huge meadows that will be all tracked up, especially close to TML, that the gade will be fine on. Unless of course the get a fresh dumping while you are there.

Your guide will know what those sleds are capable of. You and your wife will be fine, it will be a great time.

2 quick tips. 1. If you get stuck, don't panic, take your time. No need to get the sled unstuck as fast as you can.
2.The air is thin, you will be out of breath a lot quicker. Therefore reread tip 1.

Bonus tip, haha. If your wife gets stuck, don't get yourself stuck trying to get to her. That will really suck. Like I said before, do the off trail stuff with your guide. Let him get you unstuck. Its easier to give him a nice tip than it is to get yourself frustrated by getting stuck all the time.

You flying into Jackson? Look out the window of the plane as you approach and land. Its cool.

jblanck

Good to hear the sleds we are getting will do what we need. We are comfortable with them. I like the idea of letting the guide get us unstuck if it happens. I'm excited for the trip. I'll post a report when we get back. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

mrbb

not sure if this helps or not
but the last time I took a girlfriend out west, she too wasn't much of a rider, tails were all she wanted to ride
so what I just did, was found places where she could park trail side and let me ride off trail, where she could watch or take a break.
it worked well for the first few days(7 day trip)
then about day
3-4, she decided to TRY off trail while I was off climbing some smaller hills
she NEVER told me she was going to TRY it
went off without me knowing it, got stuck on the back side of a hill, where I couldn;t see her, shut sled off, couldn't get it re started?
it was rather windy day, so couldn;t hear her yelling, ONCE I realized she was MISSING(about 5 minutes only too? till I seen she wasn't parked where she was?)
at first I thought maybe she got pissed off waiting for me, but it was only 5-7 minutes MAX I left her??
but never know with some people RIGHT?
we were about 30 miles from the nearest places, literally in middle of NO where
so, I quickly tried to get to high ground where I could see far and HOPED to find here that way,
that didn;t work, ran up trail a bit, then other way?
then back
thinking maybe she went for a shirt trail ride and would come back??
as honestly she had NO clue how to read a trail map, (not good folks tried to teach but was rather useless LOL)
after a lot of me climbing different hills looking, I found her ROLLING down a hill like a LOG to the trail, as snow as about 7 fr deep and she couldn;t walk in it, so she found rolling down hill worked LOL
as she would stay on top
when I got to her she was crying her eye's out, as she thought every time I left I was leaving here LOL
when I got to her she told me OFF TRAIL looked like FUN< and wanted to try some, and started up a hill,as she started to go down other side, she panicked, got scared she wouldn;t make it back up from the bottom, and decided to try to turn back up the hill, which ended up her tipping sled over, and then she hit the kill switch by accident and didn;t know she did it.
couldn;t get it re started, due to klill switch was on, then tried to roll sled over down hill, as she THOUGHT that would help???? HAHA no clue on that one
but couldn;t do so!
and from there waited for me to find her, first 30 minutes any how??
then she decided to leave sled and go back way she came, but snow was too deep to walk in for her?
so, sat a while, and then brain storm, to roll down hill, which worked

Best part of this whole deal was IF she woul;d have just drove down the hill, as she was, there was a small hill at bottom(lots of tracks too on it) and just over that hill was the trail she was parked on the whole time, but where she got stuck, was hidden from sight!

SO< LONG story , Maybe invest in taking some hand held walkie talkies out there with you
I wish I would have had them with me, would have made that situation a LOT less stressful, as things could have gone really bad where we were, just due to how far away from help we were!
riding with just two can have its disadvantages, where were were, we seen only about 6 other riders the WHOLE week, so help randomly driving by wasn't really a option! trails were AWESOME though, couldn;t find a bump if you wanted one LOL
girl logged on over 1500 miles in 7 days, and had no real sled experience! LOL

this also made me really realize, how important it is that the folks you ride with have basic skills, and know how(trail map reading and understanding, knowing where they are, how to get back, what to do is something happens, NOT to take off without saying something?? and basic's on getting a sled started and un stuck if need be!))

Make sure your BOTH on same page with plans, , that SHE know's how to read a trail map, and what to do, if you get hurt or??
as honestly if your going to trail ride, you can be REAL far from help or walking out, all the more so if a snow storm rolls in, snow can build FAST out there faster than you think, and white outs can happen,
NOT trying to scare you, just food for thought here on things that can maybe help you enjoy things

they Might even have helmets with communicators in them
me personally, due to I also rented sleds, I took my own helmet and gear out with me, paid extra to fly it, but rather knowing what I have fits me and works for me!
back when I was out there last, several yrs ago now, trails once past main places were bare on riders, and they were groomed almost every night, so they were FLAT as could be , extra wide as to most trails, many places 30+ ft wide was normal, and most places listed on the map, had fuel, and I filled up every time I stopped any place, rather have fuel than need it,a s most places were 30 miles or so from where I stayed( I again prefer to stay in the Cora/pinedale side of things and ride to the north, way way way less traffic and riders and still tons of snow and off trail) and well, a nice ride or loop to them, and to other places then
I was more a trail rider most trips, so I liked having to ride to get get places, over being closer to places to stop
just as I said, if it was me before I would plan any LONG trip to any place far away, I would call ahead and make sure they have fuel in, as mostly have elevated fuel tanks, and pending business, I gather depends on how often they fill them
you don;t want to drive far to get some place and find out NO fuel to get back!

cmharcou

Riding out west can't be taken lightly. We went out a couple years ago and I admit I can be a little cocky on the sled. I climbed a large Mountain and ended up getting stuck. The guides tell you not to spin the track once you get stuck and to roll the sled over to get it back on top of the snow. Well, rookie mistake on my part I rolled the sled right on top of me. Here I was, on the side of a mountain with a sled on top of me. It was so heavy, I could barely breathe. Every-time I tried to push the sled off of me it seemed to put more weight on my chest. So I just sat and waited trying to breathe. It was really the first time in my life, I felt this could be the end. Very scary and I won't ever forget. I was with a guide, and I could hear him close by looking for me, I kept praying and he finally found me and said are you ok? I said thank you God for having him find me. I'm not sure if I would of made it. No cell signal, I did have a transponder on but not sure if it was GPS equipped. I owe my life to our guide, and take them with you! True story. It can be alot of fun, but also very dangerous for similar trail riders like me. I would highly recommend going, just don't bite off more than your capable of.

homan

Take your wife up to Brooks Lake lodge for lunch. It is a cool place and not that far from Togwotee. Your guide can show you how to get there. Have to go by sled.
There are lots of play areas right next to trails. Just don't venture out of eyesight of the trails if without a guide. The mountains can be damn dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. Since you are renting sleds you must be back at lodge by 4:30pm.

bigkevs

Have fun and take pictures. I found after 4x that the elevation sickness does happen. Not always for me,but the last couple was enough for me to not go with my buddies and explore off-trail. So, after I felt somewhat better I just rode the trails. As stated by others, they are groomed nightly and don't get really beat up unless new snow or weekend riders. The CD trail makes for a main trial to get you back and forth. Try a few others, and if possible go to the top of Lava Mtn., the view is fantastic. Most of the trails will give you a variety of sights, you will also see many opportunities for some off trail. If conditions create a flat light,be very cautious as small creeks,ravines,or rocks are hard to see as you're flying across the snow. Most of all,have fun! One of the best sled areas!

carter

First off.....lots of bad info on here for you to digest......my name is Carter.....one of the guides at Togwotee, come find me in the morning, we can talk about a lot of this stuff before your day. Best thing to do right now is drink water til you hate it. Hydrate........you will find your guide to be awesome in all things and you will see the wisdom in staying with him your whole trip. Consider an upgrade sled for that off trail day.....Otherwise come and have fun....everyone in the rental shop is ther for you.

jblanck

Carter - thanks for the hydration tip. Its stuff like that which could make a day better. We will not need an upgraded sled as we are only planning on trail riding and taking in the sites. We don't think we'll be doing any off-trail riding. We will try to look you up. Thanks again. We are looking forward to the trip.

Jeff

mrbb

First off.....lots of bad info on here for you to digest......my name is Carter.....one of the guides at Togwotee, come find me in the morning, we can talk about a lot of this stuff before your day. Best thing to do right now is drink water til you hate it. Hydrate........you will find your guide to be awesome in all things and you will see the wisdom in staying with him your whole trip. Consider an upgrade sled for that off trail day.....Otherwise come and have fun....everyone in the rental shop is ther for you.

please tell me what info is BAD here so far, as I don;t see any?
I see all info given as meant as help so far and nothing that is BAD!