Fixing a broken aluminum trailer??

indianaskidoo

I have an all aluminun clam style snowmobile trailer. When I was doing routine maintenance I notice the frame where the axle bolts is cracked and the back half of the box tubing frame is starting to sag. I am looking for ideas from people who had this problem or knows someone. I want to fixed it the best way possible.

The frame is square box aluminun 2"x3" I thought about sliding a smaller 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" square box aluminun inside and rebolting the axle and then welding a flat stock 1/4" x 3 aluminun on the outside to reinforce it.

Let me know your thoughts...
Thanks

jimfsr

There are a few things you could do... The idea of sliding in a new piece inside is a good start. Make sure it goes for a couple feet either side of the crack. You will need to secure the new piece by bolting it through, be carefull not to crush the tubing by over tightening it. Bevel the cracked area and have it welded by a professional. It will be difficult because of the corrosion and the inability to get inside to clean the alum well. This should be the best repair procedure for you. Use a tubing inside of a thicker wall than the current frame material to maintain the strength, and make sure it fits pretty snug, if you can't find the proper size, have a channel shape fabricated to fit correctly. You may also want to have the weldor install "football" patches on either side of the cracked frame area. This will distribute the stresses into the frame.

Inspect the other side as well, if it has been cracked for a while, the stresses have been transferred to the other side of the frame and it has had to carry the load.

favoritos

Aluminum frames flex. If you repair one section and make it rigid, the frame will be stressed at the next stress point. You can overbuild the entire area with welded plates and just let the suspension take all the flex. I would not want to weaken an area of the frame with additional bolt holes.

Welding the crack will not fix the problem without adding additional plate material.

jimfsr

True, hence the football patches that distribute the stress. The inside bar would distribute the stress from directly behind the suspension mounting plate (steel) to further out in the frame. It would be wise to do both sides similarly. Most alum frames are really not built heavy enough in this area to take the repeated bouncing. Add the salt and corrosion, and you get a cracked frame. Can't tell you how many of these I have repired over the years, kind of a never ending problem. Not just alum either, we get a lot of bus and semi frames with the same stress induced cracks, sleeve them and football patch them if there is room for it, holds up for a few more years. The bolt holes will not weaken the frame if they are tight and the holes are drilled to fit the bolts, cannot be sloppy fit, or they will cause stress in that area. Remember the tongue is bolted on, and holds up fine if kept tight.

indianaskidoo

Yes the other side does show signs of weaking so I was planning to fix it too. But I was not sure of "best fix". The original problem was the two main square tubing was only like a 1/16 thick so over time and add some corrosion it started to break. Thought about having a shop cut the two main supports out and put new larger and thicker ones in but not for sure on cost but that would be a longer fix but sounds like my original thought of sliding a tube inside and welding patches might work but not last as long.

jimfsr

Yes, you could cut off the old tubes and install new ones of a thicker wall and/ or larger dimensions. that would be the strongest, but most expensive, unless you can do the cut off labor yourself. It would involve a lot of cutting and grinding, several hours worth. Its your trailer... good luck! Jim

n8fgb

Replacing the bad tubes is the best way. I have about 20 years in alunimun trailer repair. You can use a carbide tipped blade on a 7 inch saw. Use gloves, heavy sleaves, and cutting shield when cutting.
Rich

rainman

I have an all aluminun clam style snowmobile trailer. When I was doing routine maintenance I notice the frame where the axle bolts is cracked and the back half of the box tubing frame is starting to sag. I am looking for ideas from people who had this problem or knows someone. I want to fixed it the best way possible.

The frame is square box aluminun 2"x3" I thought about sliding a smaller 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" square box aluminun inside and rebolting the axle and then welding a flat stock 1/4" x 3 aluminun on the outside to reinforce it.

Let me know your thoughts...
Thanks

Why did it crack? Was it overloaded or is the axle/suspension frozen?

indianaskidoo

No it has never been over loaded...2 sleds and a tub of misc stuff that’s all. The axle is not frozen either I check it every spring/fall when I am doing a good inspection and cleaning... I think the problem is the original design of 2"x3" tubing that’s only 1/16 thick and add time with corrosion. The trailer has been a good one it is 10 yrs old but in good shape other than the breaking aluminum main support.....want it to last another 10 yrs

big10champ2003

Indianaskidoo, Just an idea for you. You might want to think about taking it to your local High School and see if the Metals Shop Instructor has a talented kid who could fix it up for you. Could be a lot cheaper.

I had my trailer extended last yr about 3ft to make it a nice 3place trailer, and installed another axle to make it a dual axle. They did a great job. I could have done myself as I have yrs of welding experience but thought it could give them a project. Let me tell you they did not disappoint. All it cost me was materials and the labor was free. It was a win win.

Just an idea if its at all possible for ya.

I would also agree that you should just replace the whole piece if it is cracked. If I remember right I got like 40ft of 1/4" for about $125.... through the school.....plus there too, as they get a discount on material.

booondocker

Yep...been there, dun that!

According to my trailer guy, the aluminum can't take the flexing. They are rarely strong enough to take the bouncing and flexing these things take with torsion springs. So they all crack and eventually break.

If you have an aluminum trailer and you don't check for this condition, you are asking for trouble on the road. The crack occurs right over the axle spring attachment. Look for the crack...and if it is cracked on one, the other is about to go too. Sleeve it and the beef it up.

While you are down there it is a good idea to replace the bolts to the hitch yoke. Since it is dis-similar metals, the bolt corrodes and will tighten up if it is a tip bed trailer and eventually it will break...don't ask me how I know about that one either. You would think aluminum is the way to go here, because it should last forever....but they don't.