Fog At -30 degrees?

yamarage07

John, I was driving up to northern Mn The thermometer in my truck said 30 below and i kept finding patches of fog. my question is was it just the humidity in the air freezing or what?

Thanks,Keith

jd

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of those things that can be hard for folks to understand, but the way things work in the atmosphere is that you can have water vapor remain in a "liquid" form with temps well below freezing. It's rather complicated to explain, but in order for the vapor to go from vapor to ice, it needs what is called a ice nuclei. Something that is already a solid to attach to and begin it's ice crystal formation.

It is possible to get vapor to go to an ice crystal directly and that usually always happens at temps around -30 or colder, so it was a little unusual for you to see fog at -20, but not unusual to see fog at temps between 0 and freezing.

What I am wondering is how did you keep your windshield from icing up!? That fog would have froze the instant it hit anything solid, such as your windshield or any part of your vehicle.

-John

yamarage07

john thanks for the reply. It was -30 plus out. by the time I got to my lake home it was - 39 at 11:30 pm. as far as keeping my windshield clear the fog wasn't very thick just a few patches here and there. thanks again for the info

Keith