Forcast Graphic

yamahauler

Hi John,

I think I am losing my mind when I look at your forcast graphic, only because I don't think I am reading it right.

You show 4 days up there today. Day 1 shows 1-4" for UP, Day 2--4-8", Day 3--4-8", Day 4--4-8". So does that mean you are going to have 13-27" by end of day for or just 4-8 by end of day four?

Thanks.

A

admin

You would add up the totals for each day to come up with the 4 day totals. So in the area you are seeing the numbers you mention, the 4 day range would be 13-28". With that said, I would strongly discourage you from thinking that any one locale will see the maximum forecasted snow occur 4 days in a row. It just does not work like that in most cases.

A better way to look at it would be the low to middle range of the forecast, in this case 13-18" in the next four days. You can then treat any more snow that falls as a bonus!

-John

A

alex11

hey john, i have a question. me and a few buddy's are going up to the UP this weekend to ride and were not sure where to start. i know you have the maps but i dont really understand it. in your opinion, for this weekend, what is the best place that will have the most snowfall and best trails?

A

admin

alex11-

As far as snowfall... By the weekend, it looks like all of the UP snow belts will have decent snowcover (12"+). Some areas are likely to have twice that or more. Hard to say exactly who will have the most as LES can be very selective on a daily basis. Right now areas around Twin Lakes and then from around Pictured Rocks (just east of Munising) to Paradise has the most on the ground. My best advice would be to check my snowcover maps and the NCN and go from there.

As far as best trails... Your guess is as good as mine! A lot more than just snow conditions determines that.

-John

cmharcou

John,
On your forecast graphic when you say Day 1 forecast does that mean like today December 4th 08 (today) or is day one December 5th?

A

admin

Day 1 is from 7 am today to 7 am tomorrow (eastern time).

-John