Fox River

snodogg

Anybody out there fish this system this time of year for the trophy walleyes? I'd like to take a trip there first nice weekend we get and need help on where to start. I'm in desperate need of soft water...

maddogg

Like in Green Bay, WI. I used to live in Appleton and fished in DePere A LOT on the Fox. Never caught a 30 incher though. Fishing was good - even the wife went.

5slednx

Best chance for trophys definitely at night. Cast big stick baits(husky jerks, rogues etc.) by the dam. You will have to stay north of the power lines because it is considered a fish sanctuary from the power lines to the dam. If you want to go for numbers vertically jig the river channel, lots of 22" to 25" fish in the system right now. Also, don't be afraid to move away from the crowds, and believe me, if you wait for a nice weekend you will be able to walk across that river. I would put in at the mouth of the river, (Metro boat launch)and fish current breaks and warm water discharges. There are hundreds of spots to fish without playing bumper boats. If you put in at Fox Point launch, prepare to fight the crowds and all the yahoos that seem to forget how to lauch a boat over the winter. And you don't need minnows. 3" gulp emerald shiners work great.

snodogg

Thanks a ton for your help guys. Scottp- I assume your talking about the stretch of river between the mouth and the dam at Depere? Is the upper fox worth fishing (winnebago system)? I see it's open year round in the regs. or I suppose that's froze over yet. I'm in western WI and just never figured out exactly where you guys do the soft water fishing this time of year. I've done the Mississippi in Red Wing so I hear ya about the yahoos who can't launch and playing bumper boats as soon as someone sees you reel in a fish. I'm mainly a bass guy but in need of something to hold me over until late May and I think I found it. The other option I was considering is the Rainy River as soon as that opens up. I'll let you know how I do if I make it out!

snodogg

Thanks for the tip, I thought about heading that way this weekend but doubt I will find someone to go with to help split gas/motel on short notice. It's a 4-5 hr. drive for me. From the reports it looks as if it might be worth waiting a week to let the water warm a bit? Good Luck

5slednx

Yes, from the mouth of the Fox River to the dam in DePere. Good luck if you decide to head up. I've been thinking about getting the big Tuffy out of the garage one of these days. Lots of good fishing after all the crowds have left also. Already been on the Fox when everyone thought the "run" was over. Handful of boats and ****loads of walleyes.