Freezing Rain

skidoochic

If the surface temperature is below zero, how does the air aloft stay above freezing? Wouldn't the cold air "chill" the warmer air until it was cold enough to produce snow?? Or is that just wishful thinking
happy.gif

This is what I read to generate this question:
A DEEP LAYER OF WARM AIR BETWEEN 5KFT AND 10KFT ABOVE A SHALLOW LAYER OF COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE...the classic set up for freezing rain.

(Its from the NOAA)

A

admin

Warm air is less dense, so it is possible to have warmer air override a layer of colder, more dense air. That is exactly what is going to happen later tomorrow and tomorrow night to give the ice to areas of the central Midwest.

-John

skidoochic

Thanks for responding.

I guess that makes sense. I was just hoping the cold air would override the warm air - I would much rather have snow than ice!! I will keep praying to the Snow gods!!!
happy.gif

Thanks again!

dcfroe

I am 100 miles S of Chicago and they are calling for 1/2 to 3/4 inches of ice and 15 to 20 mph winds. 70 miles north they are calling for 10" of snow. Would someone up north kick on the large fans and blow this farther south!!!!

Got generator out last night and got it running to be prepared hoping that would move pattern south. LOL