Freudian Slip?

snowride

In the first line of your journal, you said "no-snow". Did you mean "no-show"? Gotta love our one-tracked (long-tracked?) minds!

frnash

ziss sort of like "yours and mines"??? In the possessive??
What, you mean "mind's"?
No, that's a contraction for "mind is" (as "that's" is a contraction for "that is".

The apostrophe ( or ' ) serves two main purposes—the omission of one or more letters (as in doesn't for does not) and the marking of possessives (as in the cat's whiskers). (In strictly limited cases, it is allowed to assist in marking plurals, but most authorities now disapprove of such usage; see Use of apostrophes in forming certain plurals.)

Consider also, from a recent post in this forum:
"A few guy's with 4 stroke's are trying the proto type's out …"
[guy's?, stroke's?, type's?]

Remember:
<table border="1"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td><center>Singular</center></td><td><center>Plural</center></td><td><center>Possessive</center></td><td><center>Contraction</center> </td></tr><tr><td><center>dog (one dog)</center></td><td> <center>dogs (two dogs)</center></td><td><center>dog's (a dog's bone)</center></td><td><center>dog's ("this dog is")</center> </td></tr><tr><td><center>cat (one cat)</center></td><td><center>cats (two cats)</center></td><td><center>cat's (a cat's tail)</center></td><td><center>cat's ("this cat is")</center> </td></tr><tr><td><center>guy (one guy)</center></td><td><center>guys (two guys)</center></td><td><center>guy's (a guy's truck)</center></td><td><center>guy's ("this guy is")</center> </td></tr><tr><td><center>stroke (one stroke)</center></td><td><center>strokes (two strokes)</center></td><td><center>stroke's</center> (stroke's action)</td><td><center>stroke's ("this stroke is")</center> </td></tr><tr><td><center>one type</center></td><td><center>two types</center></td><td><center>type's (type's what?)</center></td><td><center>type's ("this type is")</center></td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

scottiking

Feeling more dumb than ever!

LOL

Scottiking OUT

What, you mean "mind's"?
No, that's a contraction for "mind is" (as "that's" is a contraction for "that is".

The apostrophe ( or ' ) serves two main purposes—the omission of one or more letters (as in doesn't for does not) and the marking of possessives (as in the cat's whiskers). (In strictly limited cases, it is allowed to assist in marking plurals, but most authorities now disapprove of such usage; see Use of apostrophes in forming certain plurals.)

Remember:
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>Singular</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Plural</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Possessive</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Contraction</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>dog (one dog)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>dogs (two dogs)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>dog's (a dog's bone)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>dog's ("this dog is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>cat (one cat)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>cats (two cats)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>cat's (a cat's tail)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>cat's ("this cat is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>guy (one guy)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>guys (two guys)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>guy's (a guy's truck)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>guy's ("this guy is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>stroke (one stroke)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>strokes (two strokes)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>stroke's</CENTER>(stroke's action)</TD><TD><CENTER>stroke's ("this stroke is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>one type</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>two types</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>type's (type's what?)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>type's ("this type is")</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

anonomoose

What, you mean "mind's"?

Remember:
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>Singular</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Plural</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Possessive</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Contraction</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>dog (one dog)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>dogs (two dogs)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>dog's (a dog's bone)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>dog's ("this dog is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>cat (one cat)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>cats (two cats)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>cat's (a cat's tail)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>cat's ("this cat is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>guy (one guy)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>guys (two guys)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>guy's (a guy's truck)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>guy's ("this guy is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>stroke (one stroke)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>strokes (two strokes)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>stroke's</CENTER>(stroke's action)</TD><TD><CENTER>stroke's ("this stroke is")</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>one type</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>two types</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>type's (type's what?)</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>type's ("this type is")</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There appears to be only ONE accepted use of "mind's" and that ain't it! Your assignment for today is to find that ONE accepted use and post it 20 times, then return to the corner and write..."I will be good" a whole bunch of time's...."

frnash

There appears to be only ONE accepted use of "mind's" and that ain't it! Your assignment for today is to find that ONE accepted use and post it 20 times, then return to the corner and write..."I will be good" a whole bunch of time's...."
'moose, you're beginning to sound like the fictional HAL 9000 computer in Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, as in HAL's [that's possessive] last gasp [HAL's shutdown] :D:
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind's going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind's going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a… fraid.

thunderstruck88

Hey Nash Don't they say a mind is a terrible thing to waste ? lol and you still quack me up lol Have a great night THINK SNOW + ROCK +ROLL + FUDGE!!!!!!!!!!:p

anonomoose

'moose, you're beginning to sound like the fictional HAL 9000 computer in Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, as in HAL's [that's possessive] last gasp [HAL's shutdown] :D:

Ahhh....one of my all time favorite mobies....and as I listen to that 'perfect' computer using that hack language, it still makes me cringe's....(is there such a thing as TOO possessive?)

Still wait'n here.....