G3 Boats

snirt125

Hey all - I'm beginning my research for a new boat in the spring. I'm looking at all the usuals (Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, etc.), but recently came across G3, which is owned by Yamaha and what I'm told started by an offshoot of engineers from Alumacraft. Do any of you know much about these boats or own/have ridden in one? I'm looking at a 17.5' fish n ski style and want to stay away from fiberglass. I'm curious how these compare to the other manufactures I mentioned. Any insight is appreciated.

skiroule

I'm an Alumacraft guy so I'm probably a little biased but I have two lake cabin neighbors that have G3's. One is a brand new 18' tiller (aluminum) that he uses for fishing and duck hunting. I have to say I'm impressed with the boat - plenty of room and storage and I've seen it take on some pretty big water with no problems. The other is a full windshield 19 aluminum with a Yamaha 250. Again, a very nice boat.

I've seen quite a number of others when I've been out on the water because there is a G3/Yamaha dealer about 50 miles away.

For what it's worth, it's my opinion that they are a solid, high quality boat.

maddogg

I agree with skiroule. I'm a Lund owner and will be looking for other options for my next boat. I have a 17.5 explorer. I wish I had more ski options and the 90 Yamaha is a bit underpowered for my needs.

snirt125

Thanks for the feedback. There aren't a ton of G3 dealers near me so I rarely see them on the water. Options are definitely limited on finding a boat under 18' that can take a 150hp. in my opinion, for skiing I find it hard to consider any smaller of a motor, especially for slalom skiing.

Imo.. just about all boats in the same class are constructed similarly. It's the trim and package that makes some standout. (the lund rear platform in the fish and ski is the best imo)

knight122

Lund, Crestliner and Lowe are built in the same factory, Lund uses rivets and Crestliner is all welded. They are a very similar boat although Lund has a little more upscale look and better paint work. The Lowe's are nice boats, constructed the same as the Crestliner but without the price tag.There 1710FS is rated up to 150hp. The G3's have been a real solid boat from what I've seen through our service department. Hard to beat Yamaha reliability. Most G3's only come in for regular servicing. That's just my opinion. I'd take a hard look at Polar Kraft, They are a very solid aluminum boat. They have the Kodiak 185 that's rated for a 150hp with a 100" beam, the same as the Ranger fisherman series boats. I believe it will hold 8 people as well. Very well crafted interior, and some real nice paint options.

Last edited: