Global warming

brooks

I don't know if I am way off but my thoughts are this.

The oceans make up a large part of the earths surface, therefore the effect they have on the weather is great. If a large mass of ice breaks off it will cool the water. If the water is cooler we get a better winter. Therefore we should quickly recruit a large group of people to try to jackhammer the rest of the Wilkins ice shelf off before its too late.

snowfan470

mmm...well ice breaking off the antarctic shelf will definitely NOT cool all of the earth's oceans. No way that will ever happen. If u want a better winter here in north america, keep an eye on the Greenland ice self....if that one melts, it has the potential to reverse the thermohaline circulation here in the north Atlantic b/c of induction of large amounts of fresh water.

A

admin

Really not sure what to think. The ice shelves of Antartica have been thought to be shrinking for 1000's of years. The rates of shrinkage have not been followed very accurately for more than 50-75 years, so to say that what is happening is highly unusual or alarming would be more of an emotional response and not a scientific one. It must also be pointed out that the ice is growing on the eastern Antarctic ice shelf, so not all of Antarctica is melting.

-John